Turboing an auto h22a

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

trappd-in-859

I have a question. I know you can turbo an automatic but what im wondering is can a h22a auto be turbod like like a manual trans car. I am wondering this because I have never driven a manual trans car and I would like to turbo an h22 in the near future.

can it be done-- sure.
woudl i recommend it? hell no.

honda automatic trannys suck. if you feed it more power than its designed to take, it simply won't hold up.

i would strongly suggest looking into doing an auto-manual conversion first.
learn how to drive stick. its not that hard.

exactly what calesta said....it's worthwile to learn how to drive a stick. you will gain skill and feel more confident as a driver. plus you can drive anything. definately something everyone should learn.

I disagree.

I make no claims that an auto should last 23049830948 miles boosted, but Honda did make a good tranny for a few years.

My old F22 slushbox was at 216k when I H22'd it. It held up fine for 10k more before I bought my LSD one. It never died.

My buddies F22 slushbox went 301k before dying. His family owned the car from new, one owner. He rods the shite out of that car, and the tranny just took it.

I don't know how much power an auto can handle, but I hope to find out this year. :)

sure- it will last plenty of miles on a 200 hp car. i don't doubt that at all.

but fed it 300, and the torque convertor simply won't be able to hold it, over heat, and blow up.

its kinda the same reason why us manual guys upgrade to a stage 3 clutch or whatever when going turbo...

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Feb 27 2005, 02:39 AM
sure- it will last plenty of miles on a 200 hp car. i don't doubt that at all.

but fed it 300, and the torque convertor simply won't be able to hold it, over heat, and blow up.

its kinda the same reason why us manual guys upgrade to a stage 3 clutch or whatever when going turbo...
[post=466728]Quoted post[/post]​

Yeah, I make no claims of how long that will last ;) . The difference that I can see is that the torque converter was built to slip, where the clutch is a direct connection that wasn't meant to slip once engaged fully. If the fins don't break or bend inside, then it will be fine. If not, a good tranny shop should be able to help.

The more HP you make, the higher your stall becomes. Old chevy guys are known for using V-6 torque converters on their drag cars to raise the stall point.

Back