Turboing D14 .. few questions :)

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Nick7

OK.. I've got a few questions, and all coments are welcome.

I've got Honda Civic 1.4iS (european model, 6th gen), 90HP - and engine is D14A4.
First, I'd like to keep this engine, and turbo it - not swap it for bigger one.
Why? It's more fun...

I don't want to get a kit, as they're way too expen$$$ive.

What I'm planning to get:
KKK K03 turbo (small & spools fast)
Vortech FMU 10:1 ratio
Missing link
currently no intercooler plans
BOV (not decided which one yet) - can I run without one for some time?
for exaust manifold, downpipe & flanges I have a guy who said he can make those

Now, I'm planning on running upto 6psi, so I don't need to change injectors. Anyone got idea if stock fuel pump could give upto 80psi pressure? Or should I replace it aswell?
As it's 'only' 6psi, I do not intend to lower compression ratio (which is 9.2 on my engine) - thus I think there shouldnt be any detonations.
Will I need to retard timings? I'm anyways already using 98 octane fuel, as it's 'cleaner' than 95 we got here.

Also, other thing that's kinda bugging me... I got only one o2 sensor, on exhaust manifold, which was kinda neat, cause I was able to remove cat easily. However - on other forum I notice people say that all OBD2 have two 02 sensors? My honda is 6G (year '97), and afaik - all 6G are OBD2... or am I missing something?

One other thing I wonder - how much will I lose (HP/torque- wise) if I dont use IC (you seen what I intend to use)?

Tnx for all replies/comments :)

you can't run bigger injectors with an FMU. you will flood at idle - if your car even still idels.

what the fmu does is raises fuel pressure X times for ever 1 psi of boost. so, take stock fuel pressure, around 40. add 6 psi to it. i never heard of a 10:1 fmu, so im going with a 12:1. 12x6 = 72. 72+40 = a shit load of fucking fuel pressure.
I hate FMU's with a passion.

I HIGHLY suggest you look into doing the VAFC hack.

with it, you don't need an fmu, and you don't need a checkvalve/missing link.
what you do need is a set of 440 or 450 DSM (eagle/mistubishi/dodge) 4g63 turbo injectors. they are peak/hold, not saturated, so you need a $15 resistor box. the injectors can be had for about 50-75 bucks. add a vafc at about 250, and you are good for 10 psi.... if you want to go that high. moreover, you aren't feeding it stupid amounts of pressure- you are actually feeding it "REAL" fuel at near stock pressure. its a much better alternative to an FMU, even at low psi.

I'd get a BOV. they can be had pretty cheap from a stock car, such as another DSM :p 20 bucks sometimes.... its worth the safety they add.

no intercooler- well, depending on where you live and how hot it gets dictates if you can get away with it.

there's no need to lower your compression. you are already low in my eyes :) 9.5-10:1 is average now-a-days.

with 98 octane fuel, you should be fine for detonation as long as you tune the vafc to run pretty good... keep the a/f ratios right around 12:1.

you might also want to look into MSD's BTM, which retards the timing per psi of boost. generally, .75 per psi retard is considered "safe"

All that said, i really think you are wasting your time and money on this.

a d14 boosted at 6 psi from this small turbo might put you to 120 to the wheels if you're lucky. That's your choice, and your wallet though. but if it was me, that d-series would be gone in a heartbeat.

pissedoffsol, you misunderstood one part.
I am *not* planning on running bigger injectors, but use stock.. that's why I plan on using FMU with 10:1 ratio. I o know if I planned to use bigger injectors I'd need VAFC hack - but this option is for time being too expensive for me (injectors+VAFC... kinda expensive).

I do know that I'd get same HP if I put D16 engine in.. but this is more for fun - and it's not more expensive that putting other engine. Here in Europe it's kinda hard to get some things as in US.

Thanx fo rest of coments :)

PS: I was hoping to get ~130HP with this setup... I kno it's not much comparing to what other ppl do.... but it'll keep me satisfied... for some time... :D .. anyways, later on I can easily swap D14 for D16.. as turbo will fit to it aswell :)

Originally posted by Nick7@Jul 27 2003, 04:15 AM
pissedoffsol, you misunderstood one part.
I am *not* planning on running bigger injectors, but use stock.. that's why I plan on using FMU with 10:1 ratio. I o know if I planned to use bigger injectors I'd need VAFC hack - but this option is for time being too expensive for me (injectors+VAFC... kinda expensive).

I do know that I'd get same HP if I put D16 engine in.. but this is more for fun - and it's not more expensive that putting other engine. Here in Europe it's kinda hard to get some things as in US.

Thanx fo rest of coments :)

PS: I was hoping to get ~130HP with this setup... I kno it's not much comparing to what other ppl do.... but it'll keep me satisfied... for some time... :D .. anyways, later on I can easily swap D14 for D16.. as turbo will fit to it aswell :)

i know- and im telling you NOT to do that if at all possible.

if the vafc hack is expensive for you- simply put, boosting is NOT a good idea for you. its NOT cheap to boost.

IMO, if you are planning to swap to the d16 later, id say do that first. then re-save for a turbo.

PM b16vx on here. he is in germany and has a huge list of european motor dealers.

Well, I plan to spend ~1kUS$ for this homemade turbo kit :)

..besides... don't tell me it's not fun to beat some other car, and when he asks what u got under hood - u can say u got 1.4 engine :D :D

PS: This is yet OK for europe... in US... o'well.. everyone has like 200+HP cars...

If you run a 12:1 FMU and a Bosch high pressure pump, and keep boost under 10 PSI, you'll be fine. I know from experience. The only downside is that you have a little bit of fuel lag when transitioning from vacuum to boost. Other than that, my car boosted from 117K to 131K at 10 PSI with an FMU setup. Right before I got rid of it, I did a compression test and got 205, 200, 195,200. As far as I know, it's still boosting strong. :)

Tnx for info.
Although... I managed to get sum xtra $$$, so will dump FMU option and go better way: Apexi S-AFC II and bigger injectors.
As for turbo, it'll probably be Garrett GT-20 (found out Garrett turbines ranging from GT-15 to GT-25 are rather common here - they use them in turbo diesel engines here - VW and Mercedes).

Back