1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

type r lsd into 95 del sol

Discussion in 'General Tech and Maintenance' started by mustangmike1965, Oct 29, 2003.

1. mustangmike1965

mustangmike1965 Junior Member

i've been struglling with this for a while and no one seems to have any clue. i am trying to find out if a type r lsd diff will fit into my 95 del sol. at first i thought well its b series so of course it will fit, but i started to research it anyway and now im not so sure. i looked at quaife's web site and compared part numbers and saw that the diffs are the same between ls, 99-00 si, 94-97 del sol, and 92-93 gsr. the newer gsr and type r are the same. some one told me that they think that maybe it is just the final drive gear that is different. if anyone can tell me or has any more ideas please tell me.

2. eyesonlybob

eyesonlybob Senior Member

what tranny do you have?

3. mustangmike1965

4. mustangmike1965

5. mustangmike1965

i have the stock del sol tranny.

6. MaaseyRacer

MaaseyRacer Senior Member

I am assuming it is a DOHC VTEC del sol, and you have B16a3 in it. I have heard it works, but it would be nice to hear someone confirm that too.

7. pissedoffsol

pissedoffsol RETIRED

to the best of my knoweldge, it does NOT work.

the b18c/b18c-R share the same size diff, and the b16 and ls share the same size diff.

8. mustangmike1965

you are right about the gsr and type r diffs being the same as well as all 1.6, 1.7, and ls diffs being the same, but what is the difference? is it the final drive gear, which could be replaced with my original. because if you want to put a type r final drive in yo need to change other gears as well. i dont see how they can be different other than that. the axles from a type r will fit all other b series trannys so that can't be it. i doubt the tranny case would be wider or more narrow or much different in any way. so what the hell could be so different? it is getting to the point where it is worth spending the money and taking the risk just to find out i just really want to know.

9. phunky.buddha

phunky.buddha Admin with a big stick Admin VIP

I think the bolt pattern for the ring gear is different- I know that I've seen at least two bolt patterns for the differential ring gear on B series diffs before...

10. gocivicls

gocivicls Senior Member

I have read this also so I say............NO!

The CTR LSD and Final Drive will work I believe!

11. mustangmike1965

i did more research and i am pretty sure that if i buy a type r final drive kit for the del sol tranny it would work, but at that point it woulprobablybe easier to get a quaife or cusco. besides i found a civic type r one, that should fit right?

12. pissedoffsol

pissedoffsol RETIRED

again, i don't think the ITR FDR will fit in the b16 tranny either.

13. mustangmike1965

well then i am just about screwed than and now have to decide to either buy a $900 quaife or spend $100 on used stock stuff and say my prayers everytime i dump the clutch. decsions decsions. well thanks for the advice guys.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted