Type-R manifold or Skunk 2 manifold???

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

scottp11

The Seniorest Member....
I am planning on replacing my intake manifold and throttle body. Right now I have the stock P30 manifold on my B16A. Is a Type-R mani that much better than the P30 or should I go with the Skunk-2? Is there a better one that anyone has experience with? Right now I'm all motor but plan to go turbo pretty soon, if that matters... Thanks for all your help!

Found these...

10019 - DC2 TypeR Intake Manifold
TypeR P73 Intake Manifold$ 210.00 Plus Shipping and Handling.

Skunk 2 Intake Manifold 1988-01 B16A-B, B17A, B18C5 (TYPE R) $299.58

well.. the Skunk2 was based on the type r manifold. .. but you wont get much gain without headwork..

I have heard that the skunk2 mani isn't shit without a nice set of cams and a p&p man. I have also heard of people doing the itr swap and gaining a couple pwnies. I say buy the skunk2 if you plan on a set of more aggressive cams and such.

Yeah, I plan on getting some cams and upgrading my valve train. Not a P&P though. Going turbo...

scottp11 said:
Yeah, I plan on getting some cams and upgrading my valve train. Not a P&P though. Going turbo...
well if you're gonna go turbo you'd benefit from the Type R or Skunk2 Mani very much.

How do you figure? It's forced induction... You're bottleneck is still going to be your ports, so I can't see you gaining that much just by swapping manifolds, unless you are choking the manifold before you choke the port. Are the p30 runner x-sectional areas smaller than the port x-sectional area? Something to consider, you might want to get a port and polish job, or at the least, do a mild one yourself.

Furthermore, the victorX manifold has been dyno'd to be the best intake manifold for turbo apps. All other manifolds are basically either a ITR knock of, or an ITR improvement. If you can get an ITR manifold for cheap, I would just get it, but don't expect any significant gains without doing headwork and having a decent exhaust manifold and exhaust.

What about this one? It's only $160 bucks and says "Proven 7-8HP bolt on performance on DOHC B-series engines!"... I'm sure that's N/A, but wouldn't it be more with turbo?

Blox Intake Manifold

Back