Type-R or GSR head?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

5thGenLuvin

I have a b18b block that I was going to do a GSR head conversion on, but recently at the yard I work at, a Type-R came in, burnt to the ground. I was wondering for a turbo-drag setup if the ITR head would be better then the GSR or if I should leave the B18B alone headwise, and build it up instead. No matter what head I use, the entire engine will be rebuilt.

What else should I keep off the ITR for the build besides the tranny? *smirk*

ITR head > GSR head

If you're going to mod the head, stick to the GSR. The ITR head is really nice in stock form. though.

Grab the brakes and all the suspension.

Quoted post[/post]]
ITR head > GSR head

If you're going to mod the head, stick to the GSR. The ITR head is really nice in stock form. though.

Grab the brakes and all the suspension.

Basically, what Brian and Mike are telling you is... take everything that wasn't burnt to a crisp. :)

I don't really want to change the rotors t a 114mm pattern though. Hard enough finding decent rims for a 4x100mm. I guess I'll se how the rest of it looks when it comes into the shop to get stripped, and go from there.... I just thought the higher compression ITR head was a nono for FI systems.

Ah, forgot about the 114 bolt pattern. Take the wheels too?

The ITR head is actually lower compression than the GSR head by about .2. There's not much difference at all when it comes to static compression.

Doesn't the ITR have a 5 bolt, bolt pattern? Take the rims as Mike said, it'll make it easier.

The first JDM ITR had a 4x114.3 bolt pattern. I'm not sure if it continued that way in Japan after the ITR was introduced here.

96 JDM ITR had 4x114.3
the rest are 5x114.3
the 00 spec JDM ITR had a larger outer axle piece so you need to run custom axles (unless you can get the axles from JDM land)
basicly you need an integra inner an integra shaft and a prelude outer

Quoted post[/post]]
Even if the car is burnt completely, the tranny should still be fine, no?

Depends on the heat.. enough heat will kill a trans, and warp it.

If the enterior burned but not the engine compartment, I would immagine it would be fine, but if it is charred with the rest of the car, it will probably be a loss.

But the limited slip inside should be ok. Those are built to take immense heat, and you should be able to toss it into the GSR trans.

The ITR head is better that the GSR. But that's been said already.

And everything on the type r is gold. If it isn't burned, its worth mad $$$. Seriously. If you don't want that lug pattern, take it anyway and ebay it. I just threw down $700 for a set of ITR brakes (which I traded for GSR brakes)

Is this car RHD? If it really has 4x114.3 bolt pattern it is JDM. Everything the US got is 5 lug.

I am not completely sure to it's condition or market yet, still waiting on them to tow it into the yard. It's sitting in a guy's driveway about 150 km's away:( Soon as it comes in, we'll know the truth.

Would that LSD go into the B18B tranny though?

Quoted post[/post]]
I am not completely sure to it's condition or market yet, still waiting on them to tow it into the yard. It's sitting in a guy's driveway about 150 km's away:( Soon as it comes in, we'll know the truth.

Would that LSD go into the B18B tranny though?
wouldnt you think that if its sittin in someones driveway, they are going to take what is still good on the car before its taken away... just a thought

If I lived in Cali or something yes, but I live in a small redneck town in Alberta Canada, so I wouldn't put it it past people here to have no clue what they have... A friend of mine bought a Silvia here for 1/4 what it was worth... some old guy had it and hated the RHD... lol, I also snagged a like-new GSR head off a core return engine... Mechanic wasn't on the ball.

Back