type R parts in a ep3?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Ronny Cage

DaughterTestedMomApproved
I was on a mustang forum (previous owner) and I posted pics of the new car (03 si) and one of the guys said swap the internals for type R internals. He didnt know what model of type R he just knows a friend did it on his own civic si. So I thought I'd post it up and maybe get a direction in which way to go.

he is probly taking about civic type r internals, check out ephatch.com, i got an ep3 and this fourm is a good source of info.

the cost and hassle of breaking open an engine [if no mechanic] is way more than buying a long block and selling the old one.[ or keep it as a spare]

just swap in a typeS long block and enjoy
dont you mean the short block, cause the ep3 cam shafts are way diff from the type s cam shafts, the ep3(k20a3) civic has basically a "economic" vtec system, and not so much a performance one, if im told right, you can swap the head from a type s and will perform MUCH better the the A3 heads, or so ive been told and seen :shrug2:

short block = block pistons and rods
long block =^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^+HEAD

so he should get the TYPES long block..

or am i missing something

Or I could take some precautions and do a jackson racing supercharger and be completely content with the results Id be making.

I was just wondering what the type R swap was... but Im guessing its the si-R pieces and what not.

And Im def going with the jackson racing supercharger as its reviews say its insanely reliable and this is my daily driver.

and btw....ephatch.com I cant get it to work for me. I registered twice and I dont get a confirmation. I can tell by browsing the posts that is has alot of information but unfortunately I cant enter those posts because im not a member. Its extremely upsetting.

Last edited:
th SS is a good idea for a DD K

but at that point you could look into a k24 bottom end, saw a vid of a K franken SS engine and it was sick.... sounded like an F1

yea I dont want to frankenstein a engine though. I think I can make a good amount of power out of the k20a3... Not trying to make more then 250hp. pretty sure with a jackson sc and some minor bolt ons and precautions That hp goal will be easily obtainable.

turbo turbo turbo! get the gready kit, its like 3,500$ generally hit 285 whp.

yea turbo seems to be the way to go... but a supercharger is more reliable and is going to put out just enough power to NOT get me in trouble.

The k20a3 is not really the best motor to go on, it makes 160hp factory rated which is 10 horse less than a b16a2. The k20a2 makes 200hp factory rated. The true wheel horse power of your a3 is probably more like 110-120 tops and therefore your horsepower goal of 250 by simply bolting on a supercharger boosting 8 lbs on the stock pulley is pretty unreallistic. Turbo you could definetly make 250 but its more money and is more of a risk for your engine. If you really want to make more power reliably i would suggest a full k20a2 swap with the 6 speed tranny. Then in the future if you still want more power bolt a supercharger onto the a2 and you'll be making 250 no problem.

the k20a3 puts anywhere from 132-140whp down stock. They just did a review on it in import tuner and got 140whp on their first stock run. (very healthy EP!!!) +6whp with the k&N sri that I just bought! and another 2 whp with my exhaust! kinda ironic that they picked the same mods I did to test! SuperStreet also did a review on the dcrh on an 03 ep and came up with 13whp... yea btw I got the dcrh now as well. expected 1/4mi time=14.7-15.1 (have a friend doing the same times with all the same mods and no intake! same year same color and same mileage ep!!)

I've seen the numbers hang between 130-140. Im not going for an insane amount of speed myself. The k24 seems to be the swap for most ep owners if not they jump towards the k20. Right now my mileage is low enough and my car payments aplenty to just get kpro throw some boost on and be happy with 13 seconds. Im not building a track car... Im building a daily driver thats extremely fun and sporty!

everyone see where Im coming from....

back to the original topic!!! just wondering what was meant by type R parts going into the a3... but I have gained tons of knowledge as I have had the car for 3 months now!

Back