type r pistons and ls rods

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

typesiracing

i just dropped off gsr rods with type r pistons at a machine shop and asked them to press ls rods to the pistons...well i got a phone call today, they said that they would have to machine the rods to make them fit.....i thought that sounded odd.....so i'm wondering if anyone heard of that or are they trying to get more money out of me?....haven't people used type r pistons in ls blocks before?...thanks

well wat the machine shop did to my ctr or itr piston to fit on my ls rod was to remove 1 mm of material on each side of the small end of the connecting rod in order to have sufficient clearance where the rod meets the piston.. but i think it weakens the rods... just cant revv to high..but are you puttin it in a non vtec motor, ls vtec motor, or vtec motor??

liek stated, they don't fit without machine work.

frankly, don't do it.

get a real set of rods.

basically its going in a gsr block with an ls crank.....the only reason i'm doing it is to run an all motor setup until i can gather together everything i need for turbo which probably won't be till the spring after this....right now i bought the car completed the engine from scratch so it put a dent in my wallet.....when i rebuild it i'm gonna put in low compression je pistons and probably eagle rods

if you're going to turbo down the road, why waste your money on N/A parts?

i had ITR slugs machined to fit on my LS rods and i had em press in some ARP rod bolts for extra security. i've heard of plenty of ppl spinning to 7500rpm w/ LS rods. i wouldn't go any higher on a stock head tho...

Originally posted by B16@Feb 18 2004, 11:51 AM
if you're going to turbo down the road, why waste your money on N/A parts?

well i'm not wasting my money on n/a parts because they are just laying around i just wanted to slap something together for now and i'm realizing now that it won't work that easy of course!

and the head is not stock.

Back