Type S Cams

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Accordturbo94

Hey I was looking to buy some cams for my h22 and was wondering would everyone recommended? I was thinking type S!! Is there a noticable power gain when you add these and is there any special tuning needed after you swap cams? Any help would be appreciated and maybe recommending other top end things you can think of that may be as of a help! Also is there a company who is manufacturing a intake manifold for the h22 thanks for your help!

Type S cams aren't worth it. Think of it this way....the Type S has 20 extra horses. About 6-8 of those come from the higher compression. A few more come from the ported n polished head and intake mani. What does that leave for cams? 5 horses maybe? Do you really want to spend $300-$400 for 5 horses? Get some Skunk2 Stage 1's or something similar. You don't have to upgrade your valvetrain with those, and you'll see more performance.

If you want something Type S, get the pistons. Nearly a whole point of CR above stock USDM, and you don't have to resleeve the block since they're cast pistons.

Skunk2 is set to release an intake mani for the H22 any day now. Their website has said 'TBA' for quite some time now.

Originally posted by dohcvtec_accord@May 5 2003, 03:00 PM
Skunk2 is set to release an intake mani for the H22 any day now. Their website has said 'TBA' for quite some time now.

My buddy called them about the manifold a week or 2 ago, and they said they were waiting for CARB to approve the product. So when California gets there shit together skunk2 will release it...

Originally posted by MaaseyRacer@May 5 2003, 05:03 PM
So when California gets there shit together skunk2 will release it...

:woo: Damn Californians. :D

And to Accordturbo94...I'm not sure if the cams you have in there now will produce any more power if you rev the engine higher. I know the Skunk2 Stage 1's will give you more or less the same powerband (maybe moved slightly up), while the Skunk2 Stage 2's will move your powerband up more dramatically, so in order to take advantage of that (9000 rpm or so), you need to upgrade your valvetrain to realize the power and not get valve float going on.

So dohc should i just dump on the idea of adding in the valve train cause i probable wont rev higher than 8500??? And what other boltons would your recommend for this motor assuming i want to play with 800.00 and want to keep it N/A??? thanks for your help!

Well, you COULD rev at or higher than 8500, if you got some cams that produced power up there and a valvetrain to handle the revs. But, if you get much higher than, say, 8750, you have to start worrying about how your bottom end is going to hold up.

So you've got $800 to play with? There's lots you can do to give yourself more power, or free up power. I'm not sure what you've got already....You could save $300 of that for when the Skunk2 intake mani comes out. A header is always good. Some Type S pistons would bump your compression up to 11.1:1. Think about some lightweight wheels...you could get your stock size so you could reuse your tires. Clutch and flywheel? Suspension/brakes? There are lots of possibilities/combinations.

yeah I have nothing for upgrades~! My motor will be here next week! So i was thinking the new Aem V2 and dc header and that intake manifold when it comes out! anything else you can think of?

Don't think the V2 is out for the Prelude/Accord yet, but I could be wrong.

If you've got absolutely nothing, I'd consider investing in an intake and some suspension/brake upgrades. Power doesn't do you any good unless your car can handle it and stop it. You can also get a custom mandrel-bent exhaust run at a muffler shop for $200-$300 dollars, so think about that too.

yeah i got the suspention on lock and the exhaust! I just need parts for the engine... I also have a stage 2 clutch left over from my f22~

mmmmmm skunk2 euro r intake mani :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: daddy likey!

i would get the basics before i got anything for internals personally. i'd go with intake header and some better brakes to start off with.

i just noticed that they start the intake mani at 94 on the skunk2 website... hmm i'm gonna email the gurus :lol:

you also might wanna wait for the ACT flywheel to come out :eek: or get another brand, whichever you prefer. i just have to stress IF YOU GET A LIGHTENED FLYWHEEL, SETTLE FOR NOTHING LESS THAN CHROMOLY! reduced stock and aluminum flywheels are CRAP!

I already posted on the v2 topic..adn no its not out yet...buuttt....the dc header is a great upgrade..and the v2 header is a great accomodation....ohh im gonna steal something form Dohc Accord...lol RPM STANDS FOR RUINS PeoPLES MOTORS...so watch ur self while reving high...ok im out

my brother bought his cams for his h22 at R&D, best ever yet man, but R&D says you have to get a valvetrain upgrade on this shit, and adj. cam gears.

sorry it took me so long to reply, i had forgotten all about this thread. anyhow, aluminum flywheels are crap because under the intense heat and stress they are subjected to by being made the clutch's bitch they warp and crack. chromoly on the other hand, does not. spend the extra 100-150 and get something worth your time.

Back