Ultimate Christmas DIY

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

MaaseyRacer

Well here is a Christmas gift my Dad and I helped to make for my buddies girlfriend so that she could give it to him for Christmas. It started off with my spare crankshaft from a b16a2, and a left over piece of decking for the deck we are building at my parents place. The idea came from some add in Automobile magazine, and thus began this project. All in all the project took about half a day to make. We started off with the piece of wood, in this case we used Palope, or I have also seen it called IPE, which is a super hardwood can also be called an ironwood. You cannot nail this wood, as it is too dense, you must pre-drill it and secure it with screws, it is gorgeous to work with but a bitch. We routed the wood to put a nice 45 degree angle on the edge, and then we sanded and stainded it. We then drilled a hole in the wood for the bolt that we were going to tap into the crank. We then tapped the crank with a 5/8 tap, went out and bought a 5/8 allen key 2inch bolt from the local hardware store. While we were at the hardware store we also picked up our lamp supplies, 1/4 inch lamp pipe, 3/8 lamp pipe, 1/4 to 3/8 adapter, blue lock tite, lamp socket, and lamp cord.
Then we got back and began the assembly which was pretty straight forward. Put some blue locktite on the 1/4 inch lamp piping, and screw it into the top part of the crank shaft. the put the 1/4 to 3/8 adapter on the top of the 1/4 inch piping, make sure not to get any locktite on the adapter threads. Then drill a cord exit hole in the 3/8 piping, and attach the piping to the adapter. Now you can install the socket, and bolt the base up to the bottom of the crank via the hole you drilled and tapped in the crankshaft.

***I would not recommend doing this unless you have, or have acess to a skillsaw, router, drill press, and some basic carpentry/machining skills.

So here are the pics:
DSCN0001.jpg

DSCN0002.jpg

DSCN0004.jpg

DSCN0006.jpg

DSCN0007.jpg

DSCN0009.jpg

DSCN0010.jpg

DSCN0012.jpg

:thumbsup:
that a B16 crank? :lol:

EDIT:
:doh:
if i read, i would know

Originally posted by jeffie7@Dec 24 2003, 02:55 AM
talk about one heavy ass lamp

knock that sucker over and it could take a toe off =)

That's what I was thinking...

Make a matching tea-lamp out of a piston/rod next. ;)

i've always wanted to make a coffe table out of a set of long rods, float top pistons (for the legs) and some kinda strong or framed glass for the top.

Originally posted by jeffie7@Dec 23 2003, 11:55 PM
talk about one heavy ass lamp

knock that sucker over and it could take a toe off =)

yeah really, we were looking to find some way to take some weight off, then we decided it was cool and my buddy should not put it on a glass coffee table. The base makes it super stable so it should be fine in an earthquake and whatnot. Also the base weighs a lot for the small piece of wood it is, as the wood is way heavy. :D

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Dec 24 2003, 12:35 AM
i've always wanted to make a coffe table out of a set of long rods, float top pistons (for the legs) and some kinda strong or framed glass for the top.

The next project is a V8 coffee table. It is going to be heavier than the lamp, but it is going to be perfect for my apartment. We are going to put the rods into the deck, and use the pistons to support a glass top of somesort. I have the block, and the rods and pistons I just need to get started on this. Also I need to source an old coffee table or table for the glass.

Also some posted a link to a V8 coffee table, and i have not been able to find it. anyone have it off hand I need to see it. thanks.

IPE shouldn't even be classified as a wood, it's more like metal, imagine petrified wood, only worse. Did you notice how when you sand/cut it all of the dust is yellow? IPE dust=funny bugers!!hahaha
Looks like an awesome lamp!!

thats pretty badass....id like a whole room set of furniture made form car parts but then again.....that wouldnt be cool to anybody but guys like me lol....

Originally posted by Iron 1@Dec 24 2003, 11:47 AM
IPE shouldn't even be classified as a wood, it's more like metal, imagine petrified wood, only worse. Did you notice how when you sand/cut it all of the dust is yellow? IPE dust=funny bugers!!hahaha
Looks like an awesome lamp!!

Word to that I have orange snot, and have been caughing up the prestained color of shit for the last few days. It is the only non-petrified wood that I know of that does not float. :lol:

Originally posted by MaaseyRacer@Dec 24 2003, 02:51 PM
Word to that I have orange snot, and have been caughing up the prestained color of shit for the last few days. It is the only non-petrified wood that I know of that does not float. :lol:

just be happy that all you had to work with was that square, try 10,000 square feet of that!!! cutting, and sanding. the customer wanted hand sanded edges on every single board, it took FOREVER!!! maybe I should have started putting misc. crankshafts in their floor!hahhahha

About how much did that cost you? I would seriously pay you to make me one.

Back