Ultralights

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

reckedracing

TTIWWOP
VIP
anyone here into ultra lights and such?

before i went away to school i was researching ultralights, particuarially the ultralight helicopters...

they obviously take quite a bit of $$$ to build one, but i think it would be very interesting...

anyone ever fly one?
seen one in action?
know anything about them?

Ebay Experimental Helicopter Link

here's one i found on ebay
looks very very basic but thats the idea...

i think in order to be unlicensed you need to have less than 5 gallons of fuel, under 500 lbs? i think and slower than 50 mph cruising speed...
my numbers could be off but you get the idea

I've never seen such a thing, I thought you were talking about those R/C ones. That's hella cool. :laugh:

My grandfather built a Gyrocopter out of his living room. He wound up having to replace all of the glass in the neighborhood from that one. That Gyro still exists in Somerset PA in a private collection. My grandfather was an ace pilot, and we're talking about the late 50s here as well.

You don't need a licence for a Gyro. It's not necessarily an FAA oversight, they are keeping an eye on gyro pilotting. So if you go out, and don't screw up, it'll remain licence-free.

Also, there is a speed, but it's higher than 50. Gyros can actually get you around pretty well. The Rotax is a great morot, but check out the Freedom Motors (www.moller.com) lightweight motor.

Much like a Dune Buggy (Of which I know astoundingly well) it is cheaper to build the airframe than it is to buy one.

There are a bunch of people that fly ultralights out of the local airfield here. They look like a friggin blast.

By FAA Part 103 definition, "ultralight vehicles" have an empty weight of no more than 254 pounds, stall speed no more than 24 knots, top speed in level flight of no more than 55 knots (63.25 mph), carry no more than 5 gallons of usable fuel. and can carry no more than one occupant. Anything heavier, faster, with more than 5 gallons fuel, or more than one occupant is not an ultralight and must be licensed as an Experimental aircraft

Quoted post[/post]]
He wound up having to replace all of the glass in the neighborhood from that one.

explain that one...
The sound. Loud. Pulsating. Windows gone for the neighborhood, including interior china cabinets and the such.

The Rotax is a great morot, but check out the Freedom Motors (www.moller.com) lightweight motor.
in the event of motor failure, whats the chances you can land the thing and live...
from 20 feet
lol

An ultralight aircraft is actually very easy to land with a motor failure. They have parachutes that bring it down for you. The gryo, doesn't.

Also, Gyros require runways. They don't hover like a helicopter. What you're looking at here with the helicopter and VTOL is an experimental helicopter, which requires licencing.

WHAT HAPPENS IF THE ENGINE FAILS?
The rotors will continue autorotating and the aircraft will simply glide down no faster than a parachute. (For many experienced pilots, turning the engine off at 1,000 feet is a fun thing to do!)

for FUN?!?!?

Also, Gyros require runways. They don't hover like a helicopter. What you're looking at here with the helicopter and VTOL is an experimental helicopter, which requires licencing.

wouldn't it not need licensing if it met all the FAA conditions?

FAA conditions are very specific, and I don't think that blurb that was quoted here is the full story. When it comes to experimental aircraft, or private aircraft, There is a book the size of a dictionary with VERY specific details about what is, and is not, acceptable for your licencing.

I never looked into UL's, or private helo's...not worth it IMHO...but too each his own...

Autorotation for fun...sometimes...but not advicable...

Look up all FAR's for UL's...and it will make your head spin...and not the rotors head.... :p

could be a fun toy for someone with money...time, and a death wish...unless you KNOW how to build one. Sure they are easy to build, easy to fly, and easy to crash....

as far as I know...there is no provisions for a parachute for an UL helo....to many large moving parts to get tangled into....

And have an A&P licenced mechanic inspect it before you attempt to fly anything...pay the money....and get that little extra set of eyes...

all this for only 50K

airscooter.com
should be released next year...

body_pic_2.jpg

Back