Underdrive Pulleys

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Harms Way

What do you guys/girls think about doing new underdrive pulleys on my 99 civic? I have the basic I/H/E, and skunk 2 intake manifold done to it. I was just curious to what everyones reations were to a new set of underdrive pulleys was? Have you done them? Know someone who has? Good/Bad? Easy install? Etc ETc....
:unsure:

I heard that it gives just a tad bit of HP but the torque gain is pretty good. I have A/C and power steering in my car and i havnt used the power steering yet and used the A/C maybe 5 times so far in the matter of 5 months or less.

I found a set of AEM pulleys on ebay new for around 125.00. Anyone know where i can get them cheaper? Thanks in advance.

1) he probalbly lives at one end of the alley, works at the other and just throwes it in reverse or :lol:
or
2) been in a bunch of rear end accidents. and then the cars in the shop so much that's why the AC's only been used 5 times. It's alright, I know I've been a crash test dummy many times.

I would save your money to do something that will really give you some horsepower that you can feel. I dont have any direct experience with the AEM pulleys but I would not imagine that you would see that much gain. And stay away from aftermarket crank pulleys withouth the harmonic balancer I have experience with that... Spun a bearing let me just tell you that rebuilding your block is very costly in comparison to the small gains you will see.

what kind of civic is it? if its a 99 si i have a lightened crank pulley never usedthat would fit your car and i would part with for 40 shipped.... let me know

how about this, DUMP your AC and PS - you'll gain more from dumping in terms of weight reduction and less rotational mass, than from upgrading to pulleys and best of all it will cost you ZERO

what about a CTR pully? ive seen those for sale, and was always curious if they are any different than a stock one.

I think the CTR pulley is the way to go if your running just the alternator, other members will disagree with me, but I think it's a good mod.

the CTR pulley is just like all the other civic/integra pulleys
the one you are talking about is the CTR N1 pulley (single belt)
yes it is made by honda
no it does not come stock on anything

it is used for their N1 cars
those engines are rebuilt constantly so lifespan is not an issue (aqs long as it finishes the race)

the CTR N1 pulley does not have the dampening layer that the regular pulley has in it
so your engine will still suffer from added vibration (vibration = bad)

if you are at all concerned with the engines life span, just keep the OEM pulley and remove the belts for the AC / PS (yank out the full AC / PS systems for weight reduction)

And if you really want to reduce mass on the pulley, you can send it off to have the PS portion of the crank pulley removed. Usually, the company that does this will re-test the pulley for balance.

this seems to always draw some type of debate, which is fine.

but from my experience I ran NO AC, No PS, and a UR crank pulley and had Zero problems for about 1.5 years before sellling the hatch, and the other person who bought it had zero problems also.

also locally I have yet heard of anyone running into issues with the dampining bushing on the pulleys and such....

I will atest to the statement that underdrive pulley = a bad time. My friend had to get a new engine after spinning a bearing caused by an AEM pulley set.

Originally posted by projectxspeed@Aug 12 2004, 01:06 AM
I will atest to the statement that underdrive pulley = a bad time. My friend had to get a new engine after spinning a bearing caused by an AEM pulley set.
[post=375793]Quoted post[/post]​

Then it wasn't from the AEM pulley set because the AEM set does not replace the crank pully as far as I know.

:ditto:

I'll be in the turbo club before I give up all the goodies that make a car great.

Back