Upgrade sway bar...?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

stmotorsports

Hey all. I just recently started getting into autocrossing and was just wondering what stock Honda/Acura sway bars will fit and what's better/worse than stock equipment on my car ('94 civic EX coupe)? I know the ITRs have like a 26mm front bar(?) but I don't even know what my stock front bar is. I know there's no rear bar in my car (yet...). I mentioned stock Honda/Acura gear cause I'm a broke ass college student and trying to find something used. Thanx :) :)

dont change the front bar just add a rear bar

the ITR will fit with a kit to make it work

Originally posted by E_SolSi@Jul 8 2003, 02:42 AM
dont change the front bar just add a rear bar

the ITR will fit with a kit to make it work

however, your going to need to buy new LCA's ($50) because your stock ones dont have holes for the endlinks.

What do you have done to your car, like name everything including racing seats and body work, performance stuff, wheels (and size).

If your just getting into autoXing, try racing with your stock car. Learn the limits and learn how to drive. When you start with a semi moded car, your going to be up against cars that are moded to all hell and you'll come in last place every time.

BigEl- thanx for the specs :) where did u find those? I had heard the sedans came with the rear bar & I was thinking of adding in one of those. I don't really know if I need to go to the ITR rear bar because it seems like most of the body roll is in the front. Plus my regional rules specifies "any front sway bar" for stock class so that's why I was thinking going to a stiffer front bar and holding off on the rear for now(?). Some of the guys running the smaller cars (rabbits,hatches,etc) with real stiff rear bars around here get the rear inside wheels coming up like 1' off the ground on tight corners(!) I dunno, but to me that says you need a stiffer front bar... (I would think?)
Anyhow the car in question is my daily driver so I don't really have anything done to it, it's pretty much bone stock except for the ZR speed rated tires on a spare set of stock 14" steelies. I've been racing in stock class and doing pretty well, but I want to go as far as I can in stock class before making the jump to street class.
E_SolSi- why do you say don't change the front bar?

in autoX if your rear outside wheel comes up thats a good thing. Also, in autoX, you DONT want a big front sway bar. This is because a bigger front sway will cause MORE understeer. In autoX, it is a good thing when you get the back end to swing out a little bit. If you want to be in stock class, get a SMALLER front sway bar, some new dampers (but not springs) and finally, some VX or HX wheels wrapped in falken anzies or better yet, DOT approved slicks.

so if I am able to track down a rear sway bar from a 4dr EX or an Si (I think the Si came with one?)- will one of these bolt right onto my car or will I have to fabricate mounts?

Also, why does it seem like everyone tries to go with stiffer springs &/or swaybars if all it does is give you more understeer?

:huh:

Stiffer springs and a stiff REAR sway bar will decrease understeer and many times results in Oversteer.

The rear sway from the si or EX blows and is not worth the effort because it is so small. Go with an ITR, Progress, Suspension Technique (Sp?) Nuespeed ect. Also it will not just bolt on, you need the Lowercontrol arms and endlinks from any integra (3rd gen) or EG civic that comes stock with a rear sway bar. The lower control arms are the peice that holds the bottom of the shock and then links it to the wheel hub and the subframe. The Endlinks are the devise that links the swaybar to the LCA's. The rear bar is the most important thing in autoX.

so do the LCA's have to be from a 3rd gen integra only or can they be from an earlier one? There's a u-pull-it boneyard around here that we go to all the time but they only have a bunch of older (1st/2nd gen) integras :(

i would lose the front sway and swap in an integra rear sway bar + LCAs. Thats what i did... probably best bang for the buck, it drives really nuetral around corners. If you put on the ITR sway bar then i would suggest leaving the front stock sway bar on.

Back