Upshift W/o Clutch?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

highperboi

i was reading bout how u can downshift without a clutch and i started messing with it and i can sorta do it now... but now im wondering if you can shift up without clutch??? do u just rev it higher and dump it in??

Dude, the clutch is there for a reason, don't fuck with it, I am sure it can't be terrific for the disc nor pressure plate. Shift normal and have fun :D

Milan

there really is little to no point in doing this ... but yes you can upshift or downshift without using the clutch if you match the RPMs

so for downshifting blip the throttle so the RPMs go up to where they should be
for upshifting just let the RPMs fall to where they should be

if timed right you will go right into gear

They invented the synchromesh transmission for a reason... Cars only lasted 50k miles in the 60's for a reason.

You use toothpaste right, not just water? It's called invention and improvement. Use it to it's fullest.

Originally posted by SiR Kid@May 15 2003, 01:56 AM
You use toothpaste right, not just water? It's called invention and improvement.

lol

that had me rolling for some reason...

Ya know, about 5 years ago me and 2 friends were out rolling around in my '91 toyota pickup (since rolled :( ) and we had to run from the cops for one reason or another :rolleyes: . While escaping I twisted my knee REALLY bad and couldn't put ANY pressure on it. (I think I popped it out of socket in hindsight) Anyways, my 2 friends can't drive a stick. And I can't push in the clutch without screaming. So I had to drive it like 10 miles, through downtown, stoplights and all, with no clutch. It's kinda hard to match the gears all the time, there was some grinding if I remember correctly.. :p I don't know what my point was now, so I'm sorry for wasting that minute of everyone's life. Oh yeah. USE THE CLUTCH. That's why it's there. :D

There is no point, if you practice you will actually be able to shift faster with the clutch than any advantage you gained by not using it.

You will do more damage to your tranny than wear you would save off of the clutch. I got into a habit of never using the clutch to downshift in my civic. You want to know what happened to that tranny, second gear fucked up when I actually used the clutch and it leaked like a motherfucker.

dude, 99.9% of the people on this board don't have 9 or 8 second setups, so they don't need to gain that .000000002 of times at the end of the 1320. Short shifters don't fucking shave time for shit either does throwing your car into gear without using the clutch, if you don't want to use a clutch get an automatic.

Opps, read the answer by lowtea a second time,,,,,,,heheh I was getting heated but i misread it....my bump

Milan

Back