Urgent! Timing Belt Change Gone Wrong

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

well i went to change the timing belt on my del sol (d16z6) everything went smooth
except for a little spilt power steering fluid:)
i was using the haynes guide and the only problem i ran into was finding and mark on the flywheel when trying to locate TDC. but i had the rotor pointing at the #1 plug.
I took the belt off, put the new one on. ran into another problem w. the cam gear, does the TDC mark align w/ the pointy raised plastic part, or the cut out notch?
at the raised part, the other marks are flush with the head, and the cut out notch, the other mark is aligned with an arrow on a plastic piece, i decided it was the other way, with the marks flush against the head.
i buttoned everything back up, and tried to start, and something is def. not right.
but i dont hear any clicking or anything, but it wont idle by itself.
what else could be wrong?

if anyone could help me, or need more info please let me know.

i thought about things some more, and i figured the two things that could be wrong are:

1. When I put the belt on the #1 piston was at TDC on the exhaust stroke, (I could have moved the crankshaft after disconnecting it from the old belt and once I moved it I had no way of telling wheather it was on the intake or exhaust stroke when the mark on the sprocket was aligned w/ the one on the block.)

If this was the case, would the pistons/valves collide? it seems to me, everything would move freely, but the opposite valves would be opening...

2. The other thing would be that the cam gear was slightly off (1 tooth or 2) because of the cofusion i explainded in the previous post. i didn't know whether to alight the marks on the cam gear w/ the surface of the head, or the pointer arrow on the plastic piece a little higher?
if this is the case, would valves collide if the timing was only off by one or god forbid, two teeth?

The third opption is that i did both of these... #1 at TDC on exhaust stroke, and camshaft timing off by 1 or 2 teeth. if this is that case i assume i'm fucked...

excuse my horrible spelling/grammar. I'm very tired and frustrated.

i hope i've given enough information for someone to help me with my problem

more importantly i hope i haven't turned a $$$ short-cut into an engine over-haul.

ok, i went back and checked everything again, and it turns out i made a really stupid mistake...

on the crankshaft sprocket, i was using the wrong mark for TDC. i was looking and a little notch about 3 teeth to the right of the pointer arrow. I didn't see the pointer arrow because it was covered in gunk.

so now i've got everything back on there, is there anything else I should check?
can i check for valve damage with a compression test?

i dont see how i could have not fucked up my valves
if so this has been a valuble and costly lesson (i'll never make that mistake again, thats for sure)

thanks for the reply pills...

I got everthing back on there correct, and it's running great

I'm still going to do a compression test to make sure I didn't hurt anything

what a scare though, like I said: I'll only make that mistake once :)

Back