USED CARS

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

SLA

Have you ever wondered why the state charges you taxes on used cars?
They have already got thier money when the car was first purchased!
Sometimes the state can get taxes from the same car four times!!
This is fucked up!!!

It was not a big deal like two years ago when you would have someone just lower the price on the bill of sale, but now in NY you need a seperate form filled out or else they will charge you kbb value!!

This is bull shit!! What do you think?

Well it's a large sale, and most states charge a sales tax. States are always looking for ways to increase their revenue. I don't like it, but owning and driving a car is a privilege and not a right. More cars on the roads, more wear and tear on them.

At least you don't live in California... ;)

Originally posted by 94RedSiGal@Sep 30 2003, 09:44 AM

At least you don't live in California... ;)

Why What's up with cali?

I do see your point though SLA, paying tax on something already purchased. Then again though, anything bought has already been purchased, hense, when you go to walmart and buy goods, walmart has purchased them from another source to sell them and I'm sure they pay some sort of tax. Just another way for the government to screw us.

California's car registration triples on top of endless taxes, I just moved from there. My '02 SI would cost $450 to register every year, my buddies '01 Cobra will cost $750 a year, and my sister's '99 Rover will cost $1800. That is the reason why you shouldn't be in Cali.

I'd rather live in California because every other state sucks =)

(along the lines of: your car sucks because it has no torque) :D

Originally posted by civicgirlracer97@Sep 30 2003, 05:03 PM
I do see your point though SLA, paying tax on something already purchased. Then again though, anything bought has already been purchased, hense, when you go to walmart and buy goods, walmart has purchased them from another source to sell them and I'm sure they pay some sort of tax. Just another way for the government to screw us.

You state a good point! I never thought about it that way! But still! You would think they give us a tax brake on it or something, like 4% instead of 8%....well 8.25% now!

Well I guess you can not fight city hall. HUH? <_<

Originally posted by Frankie P.@Sep 30 2003, 05:13 PM
California's car registration triples on top of endless taxes, I just moved from there. My '02 SI would cost $450 to register every year, my buddies '01 Cobra will cost $750 a year, and my sister's '99 Rover will cost $1800. That is the reason why you shouldn't be in Cali.

WOW! They do not do that shit up in in NY! We only pay $23.50 for every two years. I heard about that tax though b/c I was thinking of moving down to KS b/c it is cheaper down there but they do the same thing...charge a tax in relation to what kind of car you have.

I think that tax (regestration) thing that these states got going on is bull shit!!

I love NY!......Sort of!! :shrug2:

Yeah, California is getting way out of control. Here in Texas, registration will be $54 for me next year.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Oct 1 2003, 11:37 PM
it cost me $189 to register the 93 240 with a $700 "selling" price.

thats a new reg though, which carries a fee. The other peeps are talking about renewing their reg's and having to pay taxes on them at that point...

Ct. sucks because our vehicles get charged a property tax every year. So, we pay tax on PURCHASING the vehicle and then we get taxed for KEEPING the vehicle...

Originally posted by sisteve+Oct 2 2003, 08:46 AM-->
pissedoffsol
@Oct 1 2003, 11:37 PM

thats a new reg though, which carries a fee. The other peeps are talking about renewing their reg's and having to pay taxes on them at that point...

Ct. sucks because our vehicles get charged a property tax every year. So, we pay tax on PURCHASING the vehicle and then we get taxed for KEEPING the vehicle...

WOW I thought it was bad up here with our taxes being 8.25%, as well as our car insurance being all shorts of high!!

I had no clue about this whole tax on car bull shit!! Is it like that in every state other than NY?

On top of this bull shit car tax that you guys pay, I still can not believe you pay these high ass registration fees, like B car for instence, $189 for a 93!! Per year!!

Sounds to me like the state doesn't even want you driving. What is the deal?

Originally posted by SLA+Oct 2 2003, 09:01 AM-->
Originally posted by sisteve@Oct 2 2003, 08:46 AM
pissedoffsol

WOW I thought it was bad up here with our taxes being 8.25%, as well as our car insurance being all shorts of high!!

I had no clue about this whole tax on car bull shit!! Is it like that in every state other than NY?

On top of this bull shit car tax that you guys pay, I still can not believe you pay these high ass registration fees, like B car for instence, $189 for a 93!! Per year!!

we dont have reg fees every year...only when you switch a car or purchase a new car is when you have to 'buy' a new reg. the property taxes are every year in july...

Originally posted by sisteve+Oct 2 2003, 09:29 AM-->
Originally posted by SLA@Oct 2 2003, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by sisteve@Oct 2 2003, 08:46 AM
pissedoffsol

we dont have reg fees every year...only when you switch a car or purchase a new car is when you have to 'buy' a new reg. the property taxes are every year in july...

Yah but the propety tax on car thing alone is still some :bs: !

I wonder what the property tax would be on a Ferra! < Propbably spelled it wrong, but you know what I am talking about.

big deal, corporations get taxed twice. if you start a corporation the government hits you twice. lots of things receive the "benefit" of double taxation.

take pride in the fact that all of your hard earned money is paying the salary of the guys in the orange jumpsuits standing on the corner with their hands in their pockets who are supposed to be fixing the potholes on your streets....

civil service > your tax money :lol:

Originally posted by Tonyd0821@Oct 2 2003, 10:00 AM
big deal, corporations get taxed twice. if you start a corporation the government hits you twice. lots of things receive the "benefit" of double taxation.

take pride in the fact that all of your hard earned money is paying the salary of the guys in the orange jumpsuits standing on the corner with their hands in their pockets who are supposed to be fixing the potholes on your streets....

civil service > your tax money :lol:

:lol:

Back