valve hitted the piston

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Terry_S

Hi everyone

I finally finished my B16 rebuild last week, with a set of EK9 piston and had it swapped into the car, it started up fine, except it was a bit loud from the rocker, so i went to adjust it, from the experience of owning a D16 before, I adjust the clearances between the rocker n the valve, instead of between the camshaft n rocker. After 5 seconds of starting it up, "ban" :eek: one of the exhaust valves hitted the piston. took the cover off n inspect for damage, the spring n retainer on the valve was lose, only manage to find one of the two cotters, bought another set of cotters from honda and had the retainer re-installed (didnt take the head off), had all valves re-adjusted (correctly this time) started it up, but the car was like as it is missing, <_< checked the fuel n spark, didnt see any problem, so went to do a compression test, only 120psi at idle, and it would go up to about 150psi if i rev it up a bit, so i believe the valve's bended.

So here's my questions:
Is it ok to set my clearance at IN .15-.19mm EX .17-.21mm with the EK9 pistons? what worries me is i haven't tried to engage the VTEC yet, (still running in) so will it hit the pistons when the high lift is engaged? (std gasket, refaced head)

Also, was thinking to change the camshafts in christmas, would it be an issue with the clearance?

Finally, when I remove the oil filler cap when its running, loads of air puffing out, just cant think of where was the air came from, did i damaged the bottom end? or was it normal that the compressed air can go pass the valve stem seals? or did i just missed something?

thx. in advance for all u smart people unlike me!! :worthy:

much appreciated!

Originally posted by CoreyR@Sep 17 2005, 08:53 PM
you did a compression test with the motor running? WTF
[post=556058]Quoted post[/post]​

yeah, i've unpluged the injector, is that a bad thing to do??

Originally posted by Terry_S+Sep 17 2005, 08:55 PM-->
@Sep 17 2005, 08:53 PM
you did a compression test with the motor running? WTF
[post=556058]Quoted post[/post]​

yeah, i've unpluged the injector, is that a bad thing to do??
[post=556059]Quoted post[/post]​

Yeah, you are supposed to unplug the injectors, unplug the distributor, and check it while turning the motor with the starter.. let the needle bump 5 times. That is your compression.

Having the motor running will show way high compression readings, if not break your gauge..

on a sweeter note, you need to yank the head off, and have that valve guide checked, and have the valve replaced.

Valve? 20 bucks. Gasket set: 100-150 bucks. Machine work? Could be really high, could be really cheap. Depending on what kind of damage it did. Don't forget to check the piston, too.

the rest of the cylinders are fine, I'm going to take the head off when i get my replacement car. I had the head fully rebuilt already, new guides, refaced seats etc... hopefully it's just a valve.

How about the clearance issue? anyone has any idea?

thx.

probably off on your timing.

ctr pistons are huge. why you are using them with a stock cam in a non-b16b block is beyond me.
talk about ill-matched

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Sep 19 2005, 11:26 AM
probably off on your timing.

ctr pistons are huge. why you are using them with a stock cam in a non-b16b block is beyond me.
talk about ill-matched
[post=556642]Quoted post[/post]​

For the reason of not having enough fund at the moment, i decided to upgrade the camshafts n valve springs in Christmas. Isnt it popular that people used EK9 pistons in B16A block? or is that something bad to do?

Back