Valve lash/rocker arm adjustment?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I have a head off at a port shop right now getting a valve job done and getting re-surfaced.

I need some help for when I get it back.

The motor has no rocker arms or cams in it.

I am a novice DIY-er (I know how a engine works, but I dont rebuild them often) and i need to know how to asjust the valve lash and the rocker arms when I get the head back.

The head will be off the vehicle when its getting this maintenece.

I need pictures, where to put wrenches, what ways to turn them, where to put the feeler guages, etc.

All info would be greatly appricieated.

Its covered in a chiltons manual. And you can not adjust the valves/rockers with the head off the motor, well I guess you can but why would you want to?

You will need:
  • 10mm boxed end wrench
  • flat blade screw driver
  • feeler gauges
  • 19mm socket/ratchet (to turn engine over)

You will need to set each cylidner at TDC. TDC = top dead center. Start with cylinder 1, of course.

Please purchase a service manual for you car though, becuase im sure I have left some shit out. However, this is sorta a basic guide, good luck.

the head is already off the motor anyway, and id prefer to work on it on a table instead of bending over the car the whole time anyway.

I highly doubt its a good idea to do a valve adjustment when the motor is not together... if someone has a diff. opinion, please let us know.

the head is already off the motor anyway, and id prefer to work on it on a table instead of bending over the car the whole time anyway.

you always adjust valves with the motor at normal operating temperature anyway...

autozone.com, free repair section
should explain it

reckedracing said:
you always adjust valves with the motor at normal operating temperature anyway...

autozone.com, free repair section
should explain it

My service manual and c-speedracing says to do it when the engine is cold.

My service manual and c-speedracing says to do it when the engine is cold.
really?
every manual i've ever read on other cars all said normal operating temp
i guess honda is diffrent...

Blanco said:
Ok dude, how are you going to find TDC without pistons? Do you plan on degreeing the cam for each and every cylinder? You have to turn the cam counter-clockwise, how are you going to keep the cam gear bolt from untorquing it's massive 13ft.lbs.? How are you going to protect your new mating surface while you're forcably turning your cam by the cam gear? Why do you think Helms manuals don't have any way to adjust the valve lash with the head off? Because it's the wrong way to do it.

But hey, don't take our word for it, talk to your machinist.

Its actually quite easy to find TDC with the head off. How about when all the valves are closed? Thats one way to do it. Adjusting the valves off the car is fine.

2hard2fixagain said:
Yea, its to be done when the engine is cold (as, metal expands as it heats up).

Ditto, engine cold mate!

What makes it right or wrong? I have adjusted them on the bench so many times that i forget, and have yet to have a come back for any valve noise.

MXDesa said:
What makes it right or wrong? I have adjusted them on the bench so many times that i forget, and have yet to have a come back for any valve noise.
it doesnt seem like the right way to do it, thats all im saying.

No i hear you. It is easier doing on the car reason being, if you haven't done enough on the bench, what seems tight isn't and may tap a bit. But you should always pre adjust on the bench to make sure its not to tight or loose from the machine work. But i would advise to do it on the car, however if you have experience, off the car is just as good

coupla days old...

thought i would toss this in for novelty. Talked to my buddy from the dealership, too, and he said they won't do a valve adjustment unless the motor is "sat in the shop over night" kinda cold, despite what the service manual says, which is as follows:

valve_adj_temp.jpg

Back