Valve seals or piston rings?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

breed

I am burning oil in my 95 LS VTEC. How can i tell if it might be my piston rings or my valve seals?

Originally posted by cycloneb18c3@Mar 21 2004, 11:06 AM
could be either of them...tell us more...when it does it, how much oil smoke, etc...

Or your headgasket, if oil mixes with your coolant, or vise versa, and gets into your cylinders via a bad headgasket, than can be the cause too. Do a leakdown and compression test and that should give you more of an idea, if you dont know how take it some place to do it.

Check your pcv valve. I have heard of them going bad causing oil burning problems.

burns oil at part throttle cruising=piston rings
burns oil when you get back on throttle after deceleration=valve seals

a compression test would tell you a whole lot.. i reccomend doing one, it can tell you if it is your rings...

i did compression test on my engine and it came out around 225 for all cyclinders. it really only does it when i hammer down on the throttle.

it does it when i'm cruising then I decelerate and then accelerate i shoot out a shit load of smoke.

if i do what ur talkin about but going around turns really fast(like DEACCELERATE into the start of the turn, and ACCELERATE through the apex of the turn out of it) it will blow some smoke also. I think we might have the same problem, but mines a lil worse. if it helps i also have a race cat, but the smoke is blue.

Originally posted by statiksol@Mar 21 2004, 01:19 PM
burns oil at part throttle cruising=piston rings
burns oil when you get back on throttle after deceleration=valve seals

hello!!!! its your valve seals! when your off throttle the engine creates vacuum and sucks the oil past the seals on the valves. then when you punch it all that oil that was sucked in is burned.

yeah!!!! got that the first time you said it.

i dont know about the other guy in this thread, but my engine is a 2000, it only has 28,000 miles on it(a kid crashed his car a week after getting it, and sold the engine to me, where I kept it in my garage for 2 years, freqently draining the oil out of it, and dumping it back in, so it would lubercate everything, now its in my car. how hard is it to replace them? do I need to pull the head and remove the valves?
no there isnt any coolant in the oil.

does craftsman sell a leakdown tester(this week is their sale) and how long does it take to do a test?

Back