valve spring installation

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

brian11to1

on a b16 head.

I ordered ITR inner/outer valve springs for my b16a head (from inlinefour.com) since 3 were already removed.

Questions...

1. Do you have to remove the rocker arms?
2. what is involved in replacing valve seals, any special tools?
3. and lastly any tips or tricks for the first timer?

I ordered this valve spring tool from ebay figuring it would be nice to have it, shit it was only $66

let me know please

Quoted post[/post]]
on a b16 head.

I ordered ITR inner/outer valve springs for my b16a head (from inlinefour.com) since 3 were already removed.

Questions...

1. Do you have to remove the rocker arms?
2. what is involved in replacing valve seals, any special tools?
3. and lastly any tips or tricks for the first timer?

I ordered this valve spring tool from ebay figuring it would be nice to have it, shit it was only $66

let me know please

Thats a nice compressor man. alot better than the POS i use.

Valve seals are pretty simple/straighforeward. just pry the old ones off with a screwdriver or whatnot, and push the new ones on.

Its best to just pull the rocker arms out. Put a rubber band around the set of 3 arms to keep them togather when you pull the rod out.

the only trick i can give ya that helps, is to put some grease on the valve stem where the keepers go, to hold them into place while reliving the valve spring. Those things can be a real pain in the ass, and especialy with how your tool looks designed, you dont have too much room to get your fingers in there.

Have fun, and remember to reset your valve lash when done... its a good thing to do anyway.

lol...if its anything like a chevy...guard your eyes when taking the retainer off. ive never personally assembled a honda head (short block yes) so im not exactly certain how the retainers come off or work.

honda valve retainers are pretty much like every other motor

grease and a flat head screwdriver is where its at...

you put a touch of grease on the flat head screwdriver, then put the retainer on that and slide it into place, the same for the other side, slowly release valve, then tap it when its all back together to seat em in...

valve stem seals
removal = screwdriver of needle nose pliers, be careful not to damage the head, then use a 10mm or so socket to tap the new ones snuggly in place...

Quoted post[/post]]
Thats a nice compressor man. alot better than the POS i use.

Valve seals are pretty simple/straighforeward. just pry the old ones off with a screwdriver or whatnot, and push the new ones on.

Its best to just pull the rocker arms out. Put a rubber band around the set of 3 arms to keep them togather when you pull the rod out.

the only trick i can give ya that helps, is to put some grease on the valve stem where the keepers go, to hold them into place while reliving the valve spring. Those things can be a real pain in the ass, and especialy with how your tool looks designed, you dont have too much room to get your fingers in there.

Have fun, and remember to reset your valve lash when done... its a good thing to do anyway.

thanks man, it was either that compressor or a stud mount one that looked wierd. so, i bought that one.

I did in fact pull the rockers and lost motion assemblies since im going to have the head cleaned up while i got it apart.

thanks for heads up on the keepers. i could just use assembly lube to hold the keepers in place, right? ive got this handy little magnet that i plan on using to put the keepers in place.

as far as the new valve seals, should i remove the old ones before or after i get the head cleaned?

Quoted post[/post]]
honda valve retainers are pretty much like every other motor

grease and a flat head screwdriver is where its at...

you put a touch of grease on the flat head screwdriver, then put the retainer on that and slide it into place, the same for the other side, slowly release valve, then tap it when its all back together to seat em in...

valve stem seals
removal = screwdriver of needle nose pliers, be careful not to damage the head, then use a 10mm or so socket to tap the new ones snuggly in place...

thanks a bunch... hearing the same thing from 2 different people kinda you know... ya whatever thanks so mcuh for the help guys. ill post pictures of the process.

Back