VIS carbon fiber hood

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

b18c1civic97

I have a 97 civic ex, and I purchased a vis carbon fiber gt hood (the one with the bulges on top.) Well, I was afraid to put it on yesterday because it was supposed to rain, and here is my question to you guys. I have a cheap short ram intake on this, and the hood is shaped in such a way that as the water hits it, it would roll into the engine bay. When the car is on I don't think it would matter too much because the temperature of the engine bay would be hot enough to evaporate the water. My question is what happens when its parked. Would the water that does enter the engine bay be enough to damage (hydrolock) the car, or am I just being paranoid. I've seen cars with carbon fiber hoods but have never really thought about this until now. My buddy thinks that it won't be too bad, but you guys seem to have more experience in this topic than I do so any help is appreciated. :roll:

should I cover it up, or should I just put some sort of cover on it when it rains. Just reminds me of when I decided to wash the engine bay, and after washing it, the motor started acting rough and kept stalling for a few days until it got completely dry. I'll probably buy a car cover, buy I'm thinking of a temporary fix while I'm at work. The hood looks awesome though :D

it will be fine it will just drip onto the exhaust/radiator area...

I myself would think it would be fine...just watch out for the wires like hondamidnighter said.

Originally posted by NotUrAverage_Si@Jan 3 2004, 11:12 PM
it will be fine. if you're that worried about it get a bypass valve.

A bypass valve only works when the car is running, I think he's worried about when he washes it, and when it's parked and raining.

Oh ya, a simple fix... Move to Arizona

You should of never gotten that kind of carbonfiber hood in the first place, you should've gotten the plain ViS ones..its safer and in a way it looks nicer.

I used to have a carbon fiber hood on my old coupe (pic was taken last winter, car was stolen last summer). It had like reverse scoops? Anyways the rain would hit my header. It just evaporated but when the car sat, it just got wet. Not sure if it would mess anything up though. It didnt on mine, but it also got stolen about 2-3 months after I got the hood. In that time that I did have it, nothing messed up. :D

Back