1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vitara pistons

Discussion in 'Engine Building' started by Bobby17772, Jul 28, 2009.

1. Bobby17772

Bobby17772 New Member

I was wondering, I've herd really good things about these pistons..well the real ones. But what I'm wondering is seeing that it's a floating wrist pin, will it fit on a D15b2 rod? I would image it would but I just wanted to ask the experts. I know it will fit the jdm d15b but thats pretty much the same crank/rod as the d16.

Thanks

2. serrilion

serrilion In my own little world! VIP

for the crank and rod not quite, lol...

3. d-mon

d-mon what r u compensating 4?

there would be little benefit using vitara pistons on stock d15 rods as they are even thinner(weaker) than d16 rods.
    assuming this is for a 'turbo build'. if not you are going the wrong way with compression.
    you are better off using d16 block/crank/i-beam or h-beam rods with your vitara pistons.

4. Bobby17772

Bobby17772 New Member

alright because I was thinking of just biting the bullet and buying a jdm d15b crank, the vitara pistons, and the d16 rods, I know that would work but I just wasn't sure what the difference was between the d15 and d16 rods were, like strength wise.

5. d-mon

d-mon what r u compensating 4?

that is do-able because the d15b vtec has a 'special' crankshaft that uses d16 rods, and d16z6/a6 oil pump and d16 everything else except main and thrust bearings(d15b7, for those) and timing belt (CX).
    but the easiest way to get a d15b vtec crank is to buy the short block.
    just make sure you get one without a spun bearing or you are back to square one.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted