VTEC AHHHH!!!!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Bl6CRX

alright, here the situation, I running a b20 block with a type R head and PR3 ECU, since i finished the swap, vtec has not been working...and i am out of ideas...the only code that it has been throwing is 22 (VTEC oil pressure sensor) and it has to be mechanical, because it takes a little while for the code to come up (about 3-5 mins drving) whereas when i unplug the senor, it comes up immediatly, and I know the senor is good because we put it on another car and it worked, and i know the wiring is fine (checked multiple times by James Lin=wiring god.) I have tired switching ECU's vtec solinoids, vtec oil pressure sensor, and I have checked that the head has those little pins under the drivers side cam caps, I am preety much out of ideas with excpetion to checking the pins on the lost motion assemblies which i will check soon....but does anyone have any ideas why this would be????????? thanks

I would think that, after you've tried all that, and given that it's a hybrid motor....you're probably not getting any oil to the sensor. You may just have to pull the head off and check to make sure.

That sounds like what it is, The oil feed line for your car should run right in front of the vtec solenoid to get pressure to the solenoid. If you have used a large diameter oil feed line then you need to switch to a smaller diameter line, I use #3 line to run my external oil feed lines. I build these setups alot and you have to remember that vtec operates on oil pressure and not volume so a large diameter line is not what you want. In my latest b20/vtec I did some internals and used the #3 line and have enough pressure on the line to be able to enguage vtec anwhere after about 3000 rpm.(dont jump on me guys thats just the rpm there is enough pressure to activate with).I hope this helps if thats the problem and if anyone would like a complete ls/vtec or b20/vtec hit me up. :ph34r:

what size line are you using? did you use a sandwhich adapter or run off the pressure sensor with a bspt?

yeah I used a larger line, i had a smaller line at first, but some people said it was too small, Ill see if i can post a pic, from what i have seen it is the standard sized line to be used, I know another guy with the same setup using the same size and it seems to be the same size as in the kits sold for it, thanks for the good idea guys!!!!

Back