VTEC broke?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

psi

I got a problem with my b17 motor. The VTEC doesn't quiet kick in the way it should. I know on my civic hybrid swap it works flawlessly. But on my GS-R it kicks in between 6500 to 7000 RPMs. I know that isn't right. So, what do you all out there think the problem is?

psi

it probally has the vtec set up so its most efficient (no spikes or jump in torque in the powerband)

Originally posted by psi@Dec 25 2004, 02:34 AM
I got a problem with my b17 motor. The VTEC doesn't quiet kick in the way it should. I know on my civic hybrid swap it works flawlessly. But on my GS-R it kicks in between 6500 to 7000 RPMs. I know that isn't right. So, what do you all out there think the problem is?

psi
[post=437007]Quoted post[/post]​

ecu might need a little programming

Well the P61 ECU should have VTEC set around 5800 or so. Check the oil level and check the VTEC solenoid screen.

my buddy had a chipped ecu, for his ITR engine in a EG hatch, and the vtec kicked at 6500, and it pulled like a mo fo all the way to redline.....

Originally posted by nfn15037@Dec 25 2004, 02:37 PM
Well the P61 ECU should have VTEC set around 5800 or so. Check the oil level and check the VTEC solenoid screen.
[post=437097]Quoted post[/post]​

So, it could be a problem with the oil pressure or the solenoid? I'll look into that. Thanks. The GS-R's VTEC's been like that since I bought the car.
Thanks.

yeah it sounds like an oil pressure problem to me

i've got a b17 too and supposedly its supposed to kick in at 5600 but mine kicks in at around 6...i got the same prob

Have you tried to tweek when the VTEC kicks in or has it been that way since you got it? I can really hear the difference between my b17 and my b16. The b16 in my civic has that distinctive sound when VTEC kicks in. On my b17, it kicks in really late and sounds like its trying to switch to VTEC but can't.

Is this a common prob with the b17s?

Originally posted by arroshiz@Jan 4 2005, 11:19 PM
i've got a b17 too and supposedly its supposed to kick in at 5600 but mine kicks in at around 6...i got the same prob
[post=441217]Quoted post[/post]​

It shouldn't be. Make sure your screen on the VTEC solenoid is clear of any buildup and make sure your oil isn't low.

Back