1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

vtec controller in d16y8

Discussion in 'Civic and del Sol - EG and EK' started by mr.mugato, Jan 24, 2007.

1. mr.mugato

mr.mugato new and confused

I recently got a 98 civic ex, bone stock, and since Im new to all this I was wondering if a vtec controller was a good start for this, or should I make some modes to the engine before that?

2. E_SolSi

E_SolSi Member of the 20 nut club Moderator VIP

why would you want to change the VTEC engagement point on a stock SOHC engine???

3. Seany-izzle

Seany-izzle New Member

with a stock motor on the stock maps i wouldnt really recommend it.

4. mr.mugato

I was just thinking if my vtec engages at 5 rpm and I lowered it to 3 that would be a pretty good hp gain

5. joecivic

joecivic save the single cams

no dude you dont want your vtec to kick in that early you wouldnt even feel it kick in its much better where it is now just start doing basic bolt ons, intake exhaust etc.

6. mr.mugato

ok, i guess i will start with the bolt ons, but when do you need a vtec controller?

7. dappa1

dappa1 New Member

well imo i dont see nothing wrong with playin with the vtec engagement points.. u can proly find a used spoon controller on ebay for around $50 or less. but still it wont be of much difference power wise.

8. E_SolSi

E_SolSi Member of the 20 nut club Moderator VIP

ok i was hoping that i wouldnt have to type all of this up AGAIN
    but i guess i have to
    ok here goes
    VTEC is simply 2 different cam lobe profiles
    one optimized for low RPM power and fuel efficiency, and one optimized for high RPM power
    so your low lobes have an effective range as do the high lobes
    where those 2 overlap is the ideal point for engaging the lobe change over
    too low and you end up switching to the high lobes well below their effective RPM range and your car bogs down like it just got kicked in the nuts
    too high and you end up running well past the effective RPM range of the low lobes losing a bunch of power in the mid range, then switching over to the high lobes and getting a large jump in power... this makes the car "feel" like it is getting more performance but in reality you are losing a ton of midrange HP
    (i gained 17hp in the mid range by getting my VTEC cross over point set correctly... the car did not "feel" as fast but it was considerably faster after that)

on a stock single cam engine you will gaim more power by putting a K&N drop in replacement air filter than you will by fucking with the VTEC cross over points

9. mr.mugato

thanks, I guess I will just go with the apex filter

10. 7901mark7901

7901mark7901 New Member

you wont need a vtec controller until you are modifying the powerband (ie, cams, turbo..)

Hondata is a great tuning program for obdI engines (s300) vtech, fuel maps, ign tables, rev limiter, FTL, etc....Kinda of expensive, but definitly worth it.

11. mr.mugato

I will have alittle money to spend on my car soon, just not sure where to get started, i am ok with getting hondata but is it hard to use for a newbe

12. 7901mark7901

7901mark7901 New Member

thats why they have directions on how to use, a really good forum to ask questions, etc. Let me know if you are stuck. IMO it was a lot more intuative than uberdata or something along those lines)

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted