vtec controller in d16y8

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

mr.mugato

new and confused
I recently got a 98 civic ex, bone stock, and since Im new to all this I was wondering if a vtec controller was a good start for this, or should I make some modes to the engine before that?

why would you want to change the VTEC engagement point on a stock SOHC engine???

I was just thinking if my vtec engages at 5 rpm and I lowered it to 3 that would be a pretty good hp gain

no dude you dont want your vtec to kick in that early you wouldnt even feel it kick in its much better where it is now just start doing basic bolt ons, intake exhaust etc.

well imo i dont see nothing wrong with playin with the vtec engagement points.. u can proly find a used spoon controller on ebay for around $50 or less. but still it wont be of much difference power wise.

ok i was hoping that i wouldnt have to type all of this up AGAIN
but i guess i have to
ok here goes
VTEC is simply 2 different cam lobe profiles
one optimized for low RPM power and fuel efficiency, and one optimized for high RPM power
so your low lobes have an effective range as do the high lobes
where those 2 overlap is the ideal point for engaging the lobe change over
too low and you end up switching to the high lobes well below their effective RPM range and your car bogs down like it just got kicked in the nuts
too high and you end up running well past the effective RPM range of the low lobes losing a bunch of power in the mid range, then switching over to the high lobes and getting a large jump in power... this makes the car "feel" like it is getting more performance but in reality you are losing a ton of midrange HP
(i gained 17hp in the mid range by getting my VTEC cross over point set correctly... the car did not "feel" as fast but it was considerably faster after that)

on a stock single cam engine you will gaim more power by putting a K&N drop in replacement air filter than you will by fucking with the VTEC cross over points

thanks, I guess I will just go with the apex filter

you wont need a vtec controller until you are modifying the powerband (ie, cams, turbo..)

Hondata is a great tuning program for obdI engines (s300) vtech, fuel maps, ign tables, rev limiter, FTL, etc....Kinda of expensive, but definitly worth it.

you wont need a vtec controller until you are modifying the powerband (ie, cams, turbo..)

Hondata is a great tuning program for obdI engines (s300) vtech, fuel maps, ign tables, rev limiter, FTL, etc....Kinda of expensive, but definitly worth it.
I will have alittle money to spend on my car soon, just not sure where to get started, i am ok with getting hondata but is it hard to use for a newbe

I will have alittle money to spend on my car soon, just not sure where to get started, i am ok with getting hondata but is it hard to use for a newbe

thats why they have directions on how to use, a really good forum to ask questions, etc. Let me know if you are stuck. IMO it was a lot more intuative than uberdata or something along those lines)

Back