vtec doesnt feel like it is hitting hard enough

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Start postin up videos. I'm bored reading descriptions!

bottom line, the smoother the crossover the better. you will feel the car start pulling faster at crossover but its not suppose to be overly loud when it hits. in very well tuned cars you can only feel it pulling faster you never even hear it change over, the reason you hear a lot of b series motors vtec so loud is because its not tuned.there are tons of vids on youtube showing tuned and un tuned dohc vtec motors thats very loud and that has no crossover sound at all.

yea, im my 92 prelude, the vtec is really smooth, but in my friends rsx type s, as soon as it hits, the engine sounds like a muscle car almost, but you dont get jerked bak, its only a little kick but nothing serious.

i gotta drive an rsx at a dealership and the guy kept talking about as soon as it got to around 6500 rpms the whole car would vibrate and such, im assuming thats when vtec engages..

If your VTEC hits hard, it is coming in too late. The reason for it to hit hard is your engine is starving for air then your VTEC comes in and lets it breath. If you set it earlier, it will pull harder through the entire range, just not all at once.

Going from a d15b7 to a jdm d15b vtec, I really noticed it at first. But now it's not so much but you can definitely hear the change with the intake/exhaust set up I have.

I also like to have fun with people that have never been in a car with vtec and if they ask about it I just barely press the throttle til I get to around 4500 (that's what my oem tach says when vtec hits, pretty sure it's way off) then I mash it right when vtec kicks in :D you should see the surprised look on their face. It'll hit if you make it.

By the way, I thought vtec was made for passing other drivers when you're entering the highway or need a lane switch, etc. so you get good gas mileage most of the time then the valves open more and for a longer duration to pass someone up when you need to.

duhh.. why would they make a street car with a racing feature if there was not street benefit?
but its good for other things too.

Back