vtec engagement

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

deth101

what is the lowest I could drop the vtec engagement and stay reliable and safe for the engine......b16a2?

I wouldn't go any lower than 4800 lowest. Vtec is meant for high revs. Too low and the car will bog making it slower in the long run. Unfortunatley a lot of peoplet hink they can just lower the vtec to 3000 and there car will fly. It don't work that way. I run mine @ 5100 on a Mild built B16A1.

the best way to set the VTEC crossover point is to put it on a dyno and set it wherever it gives the smoothest curve

like hybrid89 said the VTEC lobes are meant for high RPMs
setting them to engage at too low of an RPM just means you will have shit for mid range power the same happens if you set the engagement too high.... your low lobes are designed for low RPMs.... they stop making power at a pretty low RPM so you will start losing power then switch lobes and have a violent jolt in power

when i first did my swap VTEC was set at 6k... it felt VERY impressive... at full throttle it would brake traction in 3rd gear when it switched lobes
when i got it tuned VTEC was set at 5600... the switch over was very smooth... it didnt "feel" as fast/strong but i gained 16whp in my midrange.... so dont set it by "ass dyno"

Back