VTEC not working on JDM B16

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

jachrist

I just bought a 95 sol si with a JDM b16a SiRII swapped into it.

However, the vtec isn't working. we checked the wiring, changed the VSS, good oil pressure, etc.

The engine is throwing a code #8 (top dead centre sensor) and #41 (o2 sensor). I know that a bad o2 doesn't prevent VTEC, so would the TDC really do it???

I assume I need to replace the whole dizzy (there goes the hasport mounts money :( ), but before I do, could someone chime in and see if I should check something else before I go spend $245 on a new one???

Thanks guys.

There is NO POWER (at all) increase whatsoever at higher RPM's.

And there isn't the typical Vtec scream.

I know what vtec sounds like, and I definitely don't have it.

did you check knock sensor also what wire harnness and ecu was used?

any CELs?

is it a custom tune? i couldnt tell when my H22 was in the vtec range because the tune was so damn good. Still hit 180WHP after tuning so it was definitely working properly.

yeah, I listed the CEL codes in the first post.

The harness came from the donor car (99 SiR i think)

And NO... the car isn't tuned at all. I can't justify spending $200 for a street tune until I at least have VTEC. I have driven a lot of VTEC-powered cars, and this DEFINITELY isn't hitting VTEC.

Get a voltmeter, hook a wire up to the vtec solinoid from your harness engine side to it, and run the wire through the firewall, and take it for a drive. Whenever vtec kicks in, the voltmeter should read 5v, as soon as it gets signal it turns vtec on. If this is wired, then ur problem lies elsewhere. If vtec wasn't wired up properly, it wont work.

my friend bought a teggy with a b16 swap and they used the stock harness in the car with was the ls non vtec his vtec wasnt working so we simply switched the two signal wires and it worked perfectly fine

i forgot to mention they wired the vtec in thereselves just like yours should be
try switching the two wires and see what happends it should kick in at around 5k rpm's unless its chipped

Another thing to look at is, when are u trying VTEC? it requires the car to be in timming, warm ect ect.... your dizzy mite be throwing it off just enough but I would suspect a bad wire some were...

you can get a new distributor off ebay perty cheap i bought one and its great love it paid about 120 bucks for new one

If its throwin a CEL, wont that keep it from going into VTEC?
I'd rewire it personally

Fix your cels...
lol...
I dunno the symptoms for tdc sensor off hand, but it sounds like somthing to do with the crank and cams (mebbe). A quick search around here or google should figure it out. Fix the cels, then see if the problem goes away.

vtec nt popping

theres a pin that activates the vtec in the middle of the block or sometimes it sticks to the head if that is bent or stuck your vtec wont pop if you havent checked let me no when you do

Back