vtec problem , did almost everything

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

redcivic_eg6

hello guys
i have a civic 1992 , 1.6 160 hp , b16a2
i have a problem with my vtec :

cel appears at 120 miles or sometimes lower and it's 22 ( oil pressure switch )

the vtec kicks in ok on 1 and 2 gear , but on 3 , 4 and 5 it kicks in and out and it does not rev how it should , but i can rev it at redline ( 8200 )

i checked the wireing - ok
oil , water temp - ok
pull out the solenoid , all it's clean , the axle moves ok
enough oil

i pulled out the pressure switch ( green sensor ) and i shaked it and it sound rattling inside something ( like a little ball insde :) ) . it's this normal ?

should a buy a new switch ( i can fiind one here just brand new , so not very cheap ) ? it's possible that the switch works but now how it should ?

10x in advance guys , hope for some help - no ideeas any more

sounds like you are losing oil pressure and the solenoid is closing on its own.

din not understand exactlly what are you saying

i am loosing pressure from where ? no leaks at solenoid , no leaks at engine or under :)

solenoid is closing on its own ?

lil' more help man

from the oil pump is what i mean. the faster your engine spins the more oil your pump sucks up. it sounds like your switch is falling shut (oil is what makes the circuit connect) and then your solenoid switches off. I really couldnt tell you, but thats my guess from what youve said. If you say you are full on oil, then i doubt its your problem, but it seems to be a symptom. No CELs right?

cel appears at 120 miles or sometimes lower and it's 22 ( oil pressure switch )

bad oil pump ( i really don't think so ) or bad pressure switch ?

bad driving...120MPH...thats just uncalled for :laugh:

really dude, i dont know. i cant do much more than speculate.

ok 10x anywhy

i will buy a brand new switch and write back here

keep in touch

i put a brand new switch and it's the same problem

any ideas?

it's possible that oil pump should not be in perfect condition and to have not enough pressure ?

Back