VTEC Solenoid problem...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Intevic Productions

Xtreme Racing
My car (92 Civic HB w/B18C SiR-G swap) is running pretty shitty right now. But when I unhook the VTEC solenoid, it runs smooth. I thought this problem was because my O2 wasnt hooked up, but it turns out that it wasnt the problem. Its the VTEC. Basically what is happening is that the idle is all screwed up. Almost like its sufficating or something. The idle will go up then drop repetitively. But as soon as I unhook it, it runs fine. I checked the wiring, and all is good. I do have an automatic ECU that I will be converting to manual, but I didnt think that would be a problem. So... has anyone ever experienced this before? If so, do you know how to fix it???

Well, here is an update... I notice that when I unhook the VTEC, it runs smooth. Only thing is, is the top end dies. I also did the diagnostic on it, and threw codes 4-Crank Position Sensor, 7-Throttle Position Sensor, 21-VETC Spool Solenoid, 41- Primary O2 Senor Heater.
I would assume I get the codes 4 and 7 because the engine is running rough. The reason I am thinking this is because when the VTEC isnt hooked up, and I check the codes. It throws only the 21. Then when I hook it up, it throws all four codes. Has anyone ever used an Auto ECU before and had this happen? Or should I think about replacing the VTEC solenoid?

I think you have a wiring problem. . . unplugging one sensor and then throwing 4 codes, that is a little strange. . . go over your wiring with a fine tooth comb, especially the vtec. BTW, what kind of hatchbach is it? Cx and Vx are a little more complicated than the others.

I have a DX. I looked over the wiring. I ran the wire (green/yellow) to the canon plug which turns to orange/white. The motor is OBD2 even though the car is running OBD1 after all the wiring has been converted, therefore there isnt a VTEC pressure switch. So its said to splice that pressure switch in with the VTEC solenoid, and thats what I did. I also just found out that I have one of those "oddball" ECU's. The code on it is 37820-P72-902, and I also saw that this may be a JDM auto ECU. Its not square like the JDM, its rectangular, but has 4 plugs instead of 3. I also opened it up and tried to see if it can be converted, and there isnt a RP17 or RP18 resistor in it. So I am completely baffled about this one! Right now I am thinking abaout buying another ECU from HMotors.

welfare is just kickin ass...long time lurker, just starts posting outa no where. good job, yizzle.

Back