Vtec Solenoid Troubles

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

RandomTask76

I just swapped a second gen b16a into my buddy's 93 hatch cx. It's throwing a code 21 (VTEC solenoid valve circuit). I've already verified continuity b/w the ecu pin D6 and body ground and b/w the VTEC solenoid harness connector and ecu pin A4. I've verified that there's no continuity b/w the VTEC solenoid harness connector and ground. I checked continuity b/w the VTEC solenoid valve connector and body ground (should be 14 to 30 ohms), and there was none, which would signify a bad VTEC solenoid. So i put my VTEC solenoid off of my car (which i know is good), and it still threw the code (though I didn't check continuity b/w the VTEC solenoid connector and body ground). Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

1st, did you reset the ECU via the fuse box under the hood? (7.5 plug) You shouldn't have to do anything with ECU pin D6, that is for the oil pressure switch. It's either A.) Bad connection, or B.) short/fuckup in the wire going from the VTEC solenoid to the A4 pin.

I don't think I did reset the ecu (I had reset just before i changed it i believe), so I'll try that. Also, the reason I think it's not the solenoid is because I took the solenoid off of his car and tried it on mine and it worked just fine. If all else fails I'll just run a completely new wire for it and go from there. Thanks for the reply AFIpunk, I'm "very proud of ya."

Yea,you have to reset the ECU after any work,when you are trying to clear a CEL.Just pull the ECU fuse out of the underhood relay for about ten seconds.

Well i got it fixed, it ended up being a loose ecu pin (A4) that i clamped down for a snug fit, and no more check engine light. It feels alot nicer with VTEC. Thanks for the advice.

my vtec is doing the same thing though the check engine comes on whenever the connection is bad but it is loose but whenever the light is off the vtec still doesnt work im currently running a t tap that runs it all the time help me

Back