Vtec sputter/ won't crossover

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

sean082

I need help. My vtec wont engage. I have a gsr turbo. Motor ran fine was fully tuned. I did a head gasket, valve train, and blox tuner b cams. My car was on the dyno low lobe tuned fine. once they tried to tune high lobe, the car acted like it was hitting a rev limiter and would not go into vtec. It just cut out and sputtered like crazy! We changed the diz and vtec sylnd. Neither helped. timimg in dead on. oil level in good. map sensor is fine. We thought it was a wiring issue, we we engaged vtec maunally and it did the same thing. Has anyone ran into this before? I remove the valve cover and itr didnt seem oil deprived anywhere. We forced air into the sylnd and pluged the hole inside the head, the rocker arms engaged and locked together. Oil pressure seems fine... dont have a guage though. Any ideas??

Sounds like it could be starving for gas? You didn't mention anything about the fuel delivery system

we didnt try to accelerate through it or anything. it sounds like its bouncing off the rev limiter but very very fast. we tried higher and lower rpm to engage vtec, did the same thing wether it was at 7k or 4k..

AFR is good? Or just isn't flucuating? It could be running lean...maybeDyno tuned?
Screen (Taco15) could be a problem too. Take the VTEC solenoid out and check it. . Dyno tuned?

omni 4 bar map. screen is new. changed out vtec sylnd thought that was the issue. it wasn't. screen was clean. AFR's are fine. the low lobe was fully tuned and had zero issues. tuned it all the way through rpm range. Is just vtec. ran car on fully tuned low lobe map and manually engaged vtec, still did it.

This is a swap or original GSR teggy? Just trying to help but if its a swap....MAYBE its the wiring for VTEC at the ECU? If it was a non-vtec car before and vtec had to be manually wired in...may be a bad connection at the ecu? Or just a continuity issue in general....?

Solenoid is good.....VTEC oil pressure wiring may be an issue too. And I'm pretty sure there's a tempature aspect of when VTEC kicks in (if car isn't warm enough...no VTEC) So this may be another sensor to look into.

i had the same issue on my d16z6 vtec wouldnt run right..it was engaging and everything..hope you get it figured out..my suggestions have all been covered

I dont think it's a wiring issue because i by-passed the ecu when i engaged it manually... It must be mechanical... its a swap into si eg hatch so vtec was already there, i didn't have to add it.

Maybe pins in the head are missaligned a bit which is not allowing oil pressure to lock them all... i'm not really sure. When i pulled the vlave cover off everything looked good... I'll pull the cams out tonight and see if i see anything obvious, if nothing jumps out at me, i'm going to chage the cams and see if they are creating the issue..

are you sure the you have the right HG? may the oil plug is clogged up on the block or head. you know the one that id in the center of the block and head.

Pins (dowel pins) purpose is to place the head gasket in the correct place between head and bottom end.
Can't see that being a big problem for VTEC engagement. I say taking cams out and checking them is a good idea

Yeah dowel pins were put in lol... i took the cams ouot last night and got it all back together. Didn't get a chance to try vtec but i hope to get it back on the dyno today and see if in fact the cams were causeing the issue. I checked over the head last night when i had the cams out and everything was very clean and nothing seemed out of place. there were no signs of oil deprivation... major scratching/ overheating... hope it gets on dyno today, then we'll see if it was the cams.

what about the exhaust? do you have a cat or resonator? I remember putting the discs on my supper trapp exhaust to make it shut up.(came with the car) and when i hit vtec the car jolted violently due to restricted air flow.

mine was built as well with S2S2 so check it out. just hrowing out random easy things to check.

Just for shits and giggles....
Are you sure your CEL bulb is good and the light works?

I don't know specifics but you can bypass the ECU and get VTEC to engage somehow
to at least lead you a little towards seeing if its mechanical or wiring or the ECU

Maybe try another ECU?

yeah i'm sure the cel works. I had one for diz not too long ago, and also i have it set for my shift light... I swaped the cams back to stock yesterday. I didnt get a chance to get it on the dyno to check vtec. My map now has vtec off and a rev limit set a 5k. so we just reved up to 4500 and manually engaged vtec. it didnt seem to go the same crap it was doing. It appears it was the cams. I'll know for sure today after work or tomorrow morning. I'll get it back on the dyno and have the ecu engage vtec under load and see what happens. Thanks for all the input.

Back