VTec Troubles

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Help4afriend

Hey guys, im tryin to help out a friend find out why his VTec isnt kickin in...and i dont know much about Hondas or VTec specifics...so heres what we've got so far..

Its a 2000 Civic Si...throwin codes 15 and 17 (Ignition output signal and speed sensor)

The Vtec and the speed sensor went out at the exact same time...not sure if this is related or not...

We thought it was the Vtec solenoid so he bought a used one that was working when it was pulled out...and it still doesnt kick in...the wiring looks ok as far as i can tell..shoulda checked the solenoid before we tried swapping it :eek:

Also the oil is full and no pressure issues that are obvious...

So im sure youre all sick of answering Vtec questions...but please help out a newbie! :D

Any ideas?

If your speedometer is working, than so is your speed sensor.

But if its fluctuating, or all over the place (your speedometer), your speed sensor may still be good, the harness clip can easily get corroded down there. Check the wiring and the clip especially. There are, I beleive, 3 wires going into the clip. Make sure its not corroded.

Speed sensor is about 100 bucks from the dealer. new cluster from the dealer...unsure. But your problem is probably the speed sensor.

Back