vtec wiring

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

mwolf83

Hi i was just wondering if anybody knew if it would be safe on a gsr motor to be running none vtec as an everyday car, and the flip a toggle on only when i'm racing. Because i discovered a problem in the vtec wiring, and i knew that the solenoid runs off a 12v signal, so i just wired up a toggle from a 12v to the soleniod, so i can turn it on and off as i choose. i was just wondering if anybody has had this kind of experience before.

I knew someone that ran a type r without vtec for about a month until he found out what he wired wrong and fixed it.
I don't think it'll hurt anything but it would be only helpful to fix the problem right away.....

Originally posted by itsbigmike@Jun 26 2003, 02:04 PM
I don't think it'll hurt anything but it would be only helpful to fix the problem right away.....

:werd:

What's so wrong that you can't let your ECU control it, but you can still wire it to a 12v switch?

I knew someone who ran on "high beam VTEC" (no joke) on his ls/vtec for weeks before he was able to replace the LS ECU. When you looked up "ghetto" in the dictionary, it had a picture of him sitting in his driver's seat switching on "high beam VTEC".

I heard that you can damage your engine by engaging the vtec too early. I was reading an article about making custom vtec controllers and that you need to make sure the oil pressure is high enough before engaging vtec so that nothing gets dammaged.

anybody know about this?
at what rpm does vtec usually kick in?
what should the oil pressure be at the vtec crossover?

I was thinking that I would get an oil pressure gauge and wire up a 12 volt momentary switch for engaging vtec.... although I would still allow the computer to engage it as normal
I would just splice a 12 volt line into the vtec wire so that I could engage it early if I wanted to

what do you guys think about that?

VTEC doesn't hurt the motor, all it is a transition to a higher cam lobe thus allowing more air and fuel into the motor. There isn't a major vtec crossover, GSR's crossover at 4600rpm and B16's at 5700rpm, you are supposed to set the crossover at the point your tq and hp figures crossover on a dynograph.

Milan

Back