VTEC wiring

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

CiViC_SOHC

Ok I looked at the write up and I got a question about it. I have a 1992 civic LX 4dr. I am putting a Z6 motor in it, as I was reading I noticed at the bottom it says that if you use the Si/Ex engine wiring harness it is PnP. What if I don't use it? I can always go to the junkyard and hope to get it, but I dunno what all I would need to get out of the junkyard car. Just a question incase I try to install it and have some problems. Thanks!

man your going to need to take all the wires from the engine to the strut tower believe me its not worth it just use your stock wire harness and the run the vtec wires and maybe the knock senor wire not sure if the z6 has one i don't think so

z6 doesn't have a knock... i don't think any d-series do.

you don't NEED the ex harness. you just need to add the vtec wires and convert to 4-wire o2 if your lx has a single wire (i can't remember).

remember, the ex harness will only go from the motor to the cannon plugs. you will STILL need to pin from the cannon plug to the ecu.

if you don't care how clean it is, you can avoid the cannon plug... just run striaght to the ecu. but remember, you'll need to cut wires if you remove the engine instead of jsut unplugging stuff.

well in the bottom of the write up it says 1992 ONLY civic/delsol are pre-wired for VTEC.

right. 98% of 92 dx/cx/lx's and such that have no vtec, used the same harnesses as the ex/si, and thus have the plugs on the harness and are wired in.

but that really has nothing to do with my reply.

Quoted post[/post]]
right. 98% of 92 dx/cx/lx's and such that have no vtec, used the same harnesses as the ex/si, and thus have the plugs on the harness and are wired in.

but that really has nothing to do with my reply.
I know lol. So Do I still have to run the wires to the ECU or is there wires from the ECU to the canon plug? Just not from the solenoid (cuase there isn't one on a non-VTEC engine) to the canon plug?

you need to make a circuit.

if your car is a 92, you need to do nothing but plug in the sensors and wire the knock, and convert to 4-wire o2.
if your car is an ex/si, you need to do nothing but wire in the knock.

if your car is not a 92 nor an ex or si, you need to get the sensors to the ecu-- either making it clean and connecting it throught the cannon plug then to the ecu, or straight to the ecu.

Back