vtec wont work

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

odenthall1

hey all I have a 90 hb with a b16a swap. for some reason vtec wont work... i think it is in the wiring or the ecu... i am running a pwo ecu... i was able to bypass the solenoid to check if it worked and it did.... I did get some cel codes they were...21 vtec spool solenoid ,23 knock sensor. can someone please help..

Robert

for the 21 check vtec wiring and/or replace the solenoid with a homies to check it, also i have seen low oil level/pressure throw the 21 in my car...

From what I've seen on this site, knock sensors are often not working when you buy a swap, did you buy a new one for the swap, or use the one that came with the motor? Check it out, vtec won't kick in unless that is working. How do you bypass the solenoid, isn't that what physically allows oil pressure to activate the secondary lobes?

Originally posted by MikeBergy@Jul 6 2004, 11:43 AM
Check it out, vtec won't kick in unless that is working.

This is not necessarly true, theres always debate about this, i don't know the 100% explanation BUT i can tell you with my unchipped obd0 pr3 (which does recognize the knock sensor) my vtec worked fine even though it threw the code and continued to work fine when i converted to obd1 using a p28 (which does not recognize the knock and therefore did not throw the code)

Back