vx head on D16z block?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

92plenumpower

Hey guys/girls,
I have the vx motor, soon to be with the si tranny, ACT clutch, and 8lb flywheel, D6y8 intake mani, 60mm throttle body, and 8psi of boost from the help of my T25. Anyways, my question is, can I put the VX sohc vtec head that is on my setup on a D16z block? With the si tranny and intake setup, and block, what would be the hp difference if any compared to the stock SI sohc vtec? Obviously the cam and stuff in the head is a little difference, difference vtec engage, and timing, but what would the hp difference be? Just wondering if it would be worth it to put the SI block in. I kinda wanna squeeze as much as possible out of this 92hp stock fuel saving machine, mainly just because I think that will be kinda impressive when I tell someone that it is the vx. Try not to just say I should get the bigger motor first off, because I kinda wanna try this out. I know there aren't a lot of VX dudes out there keeping it real weak/stocklike.
I'd like to save as much money right now as I can since I'm tryin to work on school as well.
Thanks homies!! :worthy:

Well, the first problem you might run into is the way the VX head works. Out of VTEC, only 1 intake valve opens. When you then hit "VTEC", around 2800rpm, then both intake valves open.

The way that engine gets almost 50mpg is that it's designed to run really, REALLY lean at low rpm. It can do this without causing serious detonation problems for 2 main reasons: 1 - With only 1 intake valve open, the air/fuel mixture is swirled as it is drawn into the combustion chamber and 2 - The VX comes with a wideband o2 sensor that can accurately monitor exactly how lean it is running and allow the computer to correct for it as needed.

I'm not sure where I would start with trying to boost an engine with a VX head. First, you might want to get a P28 with a Hondata, and set VTEC to engage as early as you possibly can. Otherwise, you'll just be in 1-valve non-VTEC mode which isn't exactly performance oriented ;). I believe the D16Z6 block will bolt to the VX head, but I'm not 100% sure, and it would probably make more sense to put a full D16Z6 long block in so you could have a real VTEC mode.

I have had 2 Civic VX hatchbacks, I've taken apart 2 VX engines, and I don't think I would try running a turbo on them. It might work, but I bet it'll be a fair amount of effort for miminal benefits. It would probably just be a lot easier to swap in a full D16Z6 long block and boost that. But if you're still going to try it, good luck, and let me know how it works :)

that's so pointless- why would you take the perfectly good v-tec head of the d16z6 block to put on a vtec-e head? that's retarded- just use the z6 head and forget about the crappy vtec-e that they put in the VX

If you have the whole D16Z6, get rid of your stock 1.5 motor and put the whole thing in......

I was sayin that I would get the D16z block and run my vtec E head on top of it. It's not retarded, you just weren't payin attention as to what I was sayin. I don't have the whole motor D16z6, I was thinkin about buying just the block because my friend bought one for like $125. I was wondering if all the power was in the block, then why I couldn't put my vtec E head on it since it engages vtec very early in the power band. Nevermind, I might try it just to see what happens. I like tryin something different just because everything else has already been done, and that takes a lot of the fun out of it.
Peace

there is a reason that people all do that same thing, it works.

with only one valve open...you dont get much fuel-air........the EX intake will be useless, and you don't get much power gain with the VX head...it basically becomes a DX head when you engage the other valve.....just use a DX head IMO

you are funny kid....think about it...there are d series engines that make from 62HP to 130...they are all "almost" the same block, they all have the same bore
the d15 have a slightly shorter stroke...the torque is about the same

the difference in the d-series is the head and ECU

the normal vtec operates on the principle of opening the valves wider to allow more fuel and air into the cylinder

vtec-e does the same thing but on a smaller scale...you are basically operating a 12 valve engine until the crossover point, then you get 16 valves...this setup is only for economy..the power gain is minimal.....you can prove it to yourself...install a p-28 ecu and then drive it...you will see.

All the power isnt in the block you would be better off getting a Z6 head for your vx block...but problem with that is it would give you higher compression but you want to run 8psi...so just find yourself a whole z6 and do the build cause the vx head will not be able to handle the revs the z6 block and head can. also with the z6 head you can rev to like 7200-7500on stock internals which would give you a better powerband for the turbo=more boost time :D

Back