Wanted: B18 series swap setup for 89 CRX

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ineedmorepower

Hello There Honda Enthusiasts,

I am New to the Honda Realm. But I guess I will have a to learn a few things. I just started reading the Forums here trying to get some insite on what to do. And I will add this is far the best I have seen on the net. Good Job people for making this happen.

Although I have owned Mitsubishi's for quite some time. I reciently aquired a 89 CRX DX I got for 50 bux. Everything is there, but I will need (2) fenders there both dented. Note: NO rust anywhere, sold underbody. Just a bad head headgasket. As I was reading in here I found out this car is not gonna be way enough for what I am use to driving in my past. So I have come to the conclusion time to Mod the Hell out of it !! I am 39 and disabled so I do not get around as fast as i used too. So this will take me some time to do.

I was thinking about a B18a1 or B18b or maybe a H22a1 swap. I figuire about 300-400hp will do the trick for me. The car now has a D15b2 in it according to the engine block. And they suck to be modded (Giant Paper Weight)

I am so confused as what to do for a swap. My ex almost killed me financially and got most of my toys. So I am back to square one. But the Bitch did not get my POS Plymouth Breeze or my 69 Camaro. So Back to what to do. I read in the Forums the H22 is not a good canidate for a turbo setup without having to resleeve (expensive) it to put aftermarket pistons in it. although about 190-200hp out of the wrapper. So then I thought about a B18a1 and read alot about how good this motor was. So since I am gonna rip the thing apart I am looking for a engine running or not running. If I can find a complete swap setup for a descent price so be it.

I was rebuilding carbs when I was about 11 years old, so I have some experience in Modification (meaning alot of Time)

Well I can be easilly reached since I am home most of the time.
Please no bashing me because of all the Mitsubishi's I have owned..

Thanks
Troy

NOTE: What are the Pro and Cons VTEC vs NoN-VTEC with a turbo
Any Input would be greatly appreciated

yahoo ID: ineedmorepower54495
email: ineedmorepower@charter.net

Dude, you need to do some research. Half of what you said is wrong or incredibaly hard to do. Stick with a b series, they are the easiest. There is no b18a2 only b18a and b18b. If you are going turbo 400whp is possible after some good engine building and from a stock cx to that is about 10k. Buy a Book, like the hond swap book and READ!!! Hearsay is obviously not getting you far. Most people spend a very long time, me personaly, a year to get exzactly what i want. Take your time, do it write, and don't do posts like this(It makes you look stupid). Not your fault though so don't beat yourself up over it. :p Good luck, we all know what it is like.

[quote name='killercannible' date='Jan 20 2006, 10:04 PM' post='643950']
There is no b18a2 only b18a and b18b.

where did he say he had a b18a2 i see d15b2 mentioned but no

yeah, how bout you ignore everything flame like that cannible said. your in a good spot to start. b18a1 is probably your best bet with a b-series. new pistons are easy, and its obd0 so no worries there. im willing to bet with a balanced crank new rods and pistons (or full rotating assembly) you can get that thing to 300 in a heart beat...400 in about 3 heart beats. the b18 swap is going to be the hard part (cause running a turbo setup is CAKE). my recommendation would be to rebuild the engine before you ever put it in the car. Just get a block from Hmotorsonline.com have it honed, and then rebuild it with new parts. im willing to say you should be good to 400 hp with a good tune and properly sized turbo.

If you are interested in having questions answered, id recommend you post in the ED forums listed closer to the top of the page. Civicious and the rest of the guys are really helpful if you dont act like you know it all.

Dont worry about the Mitsubishis. There are plenty of people on this site with blown 4g63s. They just sit on the honda boards till they blow the engine again.

thanks reikosa I appreciate the reply back - all i know about hondas is the basic get in start it and drive it. That is about all for now. However i did find a 90 CRX with a b18a1 swap done i am picking up this comming week and i am either gonna sell mine or keep it for parts. And I do plan on rebuilding it ground up. Just streetable not racing I did that back in the days and I refused to have a sponsor so all expenses were up to me. The part that i am trying to figuire out is the ls/vtec head swap. Something i read in the forums that will gain easy hp. As far as a Turbo setup I have no idea what size to get. I am in no hurry to get this done
I just wanted to tell you thanks again for your .02 in this.

thanks
Troy

hey if you want contact me on yahoo or emails. maybe we can chat about this a little more. I sure as hell could use a little help on this
also I will be in TX area soon to pick up the car.

from what ive seen the LS/VTEC does make power, but i think for a turbo app youd be better off with the normal LS head. VTEC adds to overlap and as you probably know, your goal with a turbo is as much lift with as little overlap as possible. I know ive seen an H22 unplug the VTEC solenoid and gain 20 HP in the upper RPM band (after a retune of course). Im not a b-series expert, but im sure one *cough*wil*cough* will come along and fill in the blanks that i have left.

do you have yahoo messenger? get a hold of me if you want i am up bad damn toothache

Back