Warped Block ?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

randerson165

I've had some work done and I believe my head is warped. I'm putting on a new head next weekend. I seem to be leaking fluid from where the head meets the block. When the work was being done, the car would overheat over 4K rpm's and went thru a few head gaskets.

My question is, what are the chances of the block actually being warped. I'm going to put a good head on and I don't want to have to replace the block. I've heard its pretty hard to damage the block except for cracks and what not. I just need some input. What would you guys do if you were in my situation. Besides taking a baseball bat and finding the guy who did my engine work !!! :kick:

it's more likely that your head was not planed properly, so now it doesn't form the correct seal between the block/HG/head. However, depending how often and how severely your car overheated, it certainly is a possibility that the block got mashed a bit.

As soon as my temp gauge started to move, I would pull over, let it cool down and add more antifreeze or water !!! So it didn't get too too Hot, at least I dont' think and assuming my temp gauge was accurate.

OEM temp gagues suck. They tell you either "hot" or "not hot". Not exactly an exact science.

so would you recommend an aftermarket temp guage ? if so what brand ? would it be a good idea to get an oil temp gauge too ?

A Helms manual (like the one we have linked in the General Tech Section) will tell you how to measure your block for warpage.

I have a helms manual !!! Don't Laugh...

Where do I look to learn about the warpage info ?

so a little warpage is ok ? as long as it is no more than .10 mm ? I'm gonna kill the person that worked on my engine if I take the head off to find that I have a warped block !!! :angry:

I didn't read the page at all, if that is the acceptable limit in the Helms then yeah. .1mm is fine.

Back