water pump

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

92lude

hey i got my car running but i ran into a prob. well first of all i would like to know if 00-01 prelude has a regualr water pump like most other cars or if it uses something else to run the coolant. because i started my car up the tonite and it heated up really fast and the fans didnt run and the radiator didnt heat up at all. and the engine got really hot. so if anyone can help me out here. please feel free.

nope... prelude motors have a water pump that runs off the timing belt. check to see if the thermostat is stuck closed.

hey thanx ill go out tomarrow and check. but i know this is prob gonna make my sound really dumb. but where is the thermostat at and how will i know if it is stuck or not?

follow your lower radiator hose to the motor where it connects is the thermostat housing( slightly under and behind distributor). drain your coolant from the bottom of your radiator and the unbolt the thermostat housing and you will find the thermostat, if you get this afr post back and ill help ya from there ;)

you could just replace the thermostat because it's cheap, or remove it if you can't find the part(temporary). A good cheap test would be this:

You know you're thermostat should open by 180 degrees give or take.
Water boils @ sea level at about 212 degrees.
Bring some water to a low boil, drop it in, and see if it opens. Hopefully it would open a little sooner. I use a pair of pliers to dip it and pull/inspect. It should only take <10 seconds to open in hot water.

I had to order the H22A thermostat. The H23 uses a smaller one(they gave me this on accident). This is why I mentioned that you could take it out for the time being. Remember to open the little air bleeder while you refill the coolant. It will make the refilling process go much smoother. It looks like a bolt head with a small tube on top, one piece.

thnx guys for your help it was my thermostat that was causing my car to over heat rather quickly. ill post again when i have another problem lol.

Most of us(I hope) try to help.

Back