water temp problem on my b16 turbo...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Samuels

Okay i'm having some cooling issues with my b16 turbo..I had a stock b16 turbo tuned on uberdata about 2 months ago and cruising on my tuners labtop my coolant temps we're like 210 they never seemed to go higher even in boost..

Now i've gotten my b16 built i have put 600 miles on it so far..I took it 3 hours away this morning to get my 3 inch exhaust done it did fine this morning but it was cool when i left at 5am..This evening it was hot and humid from the raining off and on..The car kept going from normal to in the middle of the temp guage and then it started to move up alittle bit above the middle..I stopped to get gas and opened the hood and let it cool off for about 10 minutes after about 2hrs of driving..Both radiater hoses we're scalding hot and had a bunch of pressure in them the whole engine bay was crazy hot and i was'nt boosting at all just cruising..It never went above the middle of the guage afterwards..

My downpipe is basically on top of my radiater though it had melted a hole in the plastic of my fan and slightly started to bend the metal edge of the radiater in 1 little small spot about a 1/4 of a inch long barely noticable..
Last night i put some thermal wrap around the DP where it gets close to my radiater but obviously that did'nt help much..

What is my best option??

Is it solely because of my dp being on my radiater if so what can i do to combat it???

I picked up some water wetter tonight but i'm not sure if that'll help or not..
better fan help??

I also have a shitty 8inch johnny racecar IC i'll be replacing to but that don't really have anything to do with coolant temps..
I just wanna get it taken care of before i run big boost and get this thing tuned..

water pump was just changed on the new engine build 600 miles ago.. I had the same problem on the stock engine..

So you guys don't think its because of the DP BEING ON THE RADIATER??

ITS JUST THE WAY IT IS..I have a t3 turbo with blox manifold with a spoolin DP and it exits on the radiater side it sits about 1/4inch off the radiater in the spot where it melted the plastic housing off the fan.. I put thermal wrap on the DP where it gets close to the radiater before the trip but it did'nt help..

how do you know that the thermal wrap didn't help? If your dp is too close to stuff, it's gonna heat things up no matter where it is... is it stainless or mild steel? Because the two have pretty different heat transfer properties. I'd look at at least shielding the downpipe from the radiator if you can. maybe get a heat shield welded on, or relocate the radiator. Your dp is obviously too close to the radiator if it's touching the radiator, and you're gonna need to move one or the other, or have the dp modified.

Back