Ways To "inspect" An Engine Out Of Car

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

OK so i'm going to check out some motors at a local junkyard tomorow.
Two LS engines, and a GSR.

I'd rather buy from a local source, even if it takes forever to find something. because i like to be able to talk to the person i'm buying from in person, not over the phone. and be able to physically look at the motor before i throw down that much cash on one

my question:

what are things to look for on a visual inspection. the motors are out of the the cars already, so i cans just run the motor to make sure everything is cool... what do you suggest i look for. no cut hoses, broken sensors, cut wiring harnesses, but what else?

pull the valve cover and see if it is shiny under there..

shiny internals generally mean that the oil was changed regularly.

sludge and nasty shit.. i'd pass up

yup, check the oil for sure, compression test also.

Milan

just give a call to hmotorsonline or go to their website...trust me, they will not dick you around and they will give you a good motor...just ask around...but if you are dead set on getting it from that junkyard, than i'd do what E_Solsi said

Originally posted by B16RacerN2NR@Jun 21 2003, 03:19 PM
just give a call to hmotorsonline or go to their website...trust me, they will not dick you around and they will give you a good motor...just ask around

:thumbsup:
got my engine from them
good price
good service
great quality engine

See if they will pull the head so you can look at the cylinder bores, pistons, etc

it turned out to be a joke anyway. nothing there. the guys didn't know what they were talking about. I'm giving it another month of serching locally, then i'm going online...
thanks everyone...

Originally posted by chevy302dz@Jun 21 2003, 09:08 PM
See if they will pull the head so you can look at the cylinder bores, pistons, etc

You cant do that. What do you tell the guy when you pass? No I dont like this one, hope you dont mind that I just ruin the headgasket.

Back