weird CEL situation

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

GSRCRXsi

Super Moderator
VIP
i was just driving along, the car had just warmed up and was running pretty good. i downshifted and pulled it to about 7800ish. i look down and see the CEL on and i immediately let off and prepare to stop. engine made no change, no apparent loss of power or change in the engine at all. it still revved all the way to redline and everything. only thing i didnt chaeck was if VTEC was affected at all. luckily i was close to home so i turned around and went back home. i didnt nessesarily baby it on the way home, it was running normally. CEL was on the entire way home. when i get home, i hopped out and popped the hood and looked around for anything out of the ordinary like sensor plugs that could have popped off or anything...nothing. everything looks just how it should be. i shut the engine off and put it back into the ON position to pull the code...no more CEL. WTF? so then i turn the engine back on and rev it a few times, still no code.

so what can cause this to happen? im completely baffled. i wish i could've pulled the code and found out what it was. anyone?

sounds like an O2 code. i've gotten those before from letting off the throttle to slow down from high rpms. next time get the code you jackass.... it should have stored the CEL anyways, aren't you running obd1? and if you revved to redline after the CEL was on, i'm sure you were in vtec

helms kicks ass. its something with the O2 sensor. a short or something somewhere, or bad O2 sensor. sorry to waste a post.

ok wtf. i followed the procedure in the helms and came to the conclusion that there is definitely something wrong to cause a CEL and not just an intermitent failure type thing. the procedure basically told me to reset the ecu and retart the car with the short connector hooked up. then to run the engine til its warmed up, let idle, then run it again and see if the cell pops back up again. i did all that right after i first pulled the code. so then i got under the car to check out the O2 sensor. great its wired right to the ecu. so it wouldnt come off with vice grips so i said fuck it and chilled out for a while.

i came back later and decided to run the procedure again. but when i hooked up the short connector the CEL did not come on at all (its supposed to) i ran the procedure and nothing. but what im unsure of was whether the CEL did pop back on but just didnt show it on the dash.

the light itself works, it comes on when you put the key in the ON position but not started, then clicks off in like 3 seconds like normal. and just earlier the CEL was working when it threw a code.

so why is the CEL not comming anymore on when i short the connector?

Back