Well.....

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Im getting my used turbo today!! what other parts shoult i get off of the donor car. It has a stock intercooler, dont know the condition, and other misc parts. What do i need? All i have to pay is 70 buck to get in, adn i can get WHATEVER i want. so help me out. I am heading over ther tonight at 6:00. The turbo is coming off of a SAAB 9000 i think, not sure. There is also a thunderbird, and some other cars with stock turbo's.

All this stuff is going to be going on my 1990 honda prelude 2.0 SI. looking for about 180 WHP. As it stands now i have a b20a swap, and AEM cam gears. those are going to be the only parts that will remain once i get the turbo.

One thing that i am unsure about is what type of manifold to use, and where it will come from.
Please help me out. I need to know EVERYTHING I need to get.

thanx
:worthy:

ask loco honkey (pm) about the manifold question...

im sure you allready know that you are going to need to address the fuel issue before you install the turbo.

im not too familiar with your engine, so im not sure if the blue box, or the afc hack will work. im guessing your not going hondata right out of the box, so if nobody can give you a good answer, google it.

you have been on hondaswap for some time now, and im sure you know the general answer to the question of "what do i need to turbo my car"
so thats all i can offer at this point :D

Originally posted by Tonyd0821@Nov 1 2003, 03:24 PM
ask loco honkey (pm) about the manifold question...

im sure you allready know that you are going to need to address the fuel issue before you install the turbo.

im not too familiar with your engine, so im not sure if the blue box, or the afc hack will work. im guessing your not going hondata right out of the box, so if nobody can give you a good answer, google it.

you have been on hondaswap for some time now, and im sure you know the general answer to the question of "what do i need to turbo my car"
so thats all i can offer at this point :D

yea i know about the fuel. Thats why i am posting this. I know everything i need TO do, i just want to do it right, junkyard style. I need to know which cars to get which parts off of.

For instance, if the thunerbird has a better turbo than the saab i would like to know.

Which cars should i get injectors off of? there are no DSM eclipses there, so thats not an option. adn i am unfamiliar with other cars injector size.

Are there any cars with stock FMIC? I have no clue... and i dont know which car to look for to begin searching.

Sorry if my first post was vague.

Are there any cars that come with SOMETHING that can help bump my fuel intake? Something that does the same job as a FMU that can be found on a junkkyard car?

Check the FAQ page. I think there's something in there about factory turbo cars. that might help.

i like to add an aditional comment...

i would NOT skimp on the fuel issue...you made mention that you would like to find some sort of fmu device off of a factory car and use it on your own.

i would shell out a few extra bucks for proper fuel management, even if that means waiting a few weeks or months to get hondata (assuming that it will work for the engine you swapped in)

First off, don't take my word for this. This is coming off what I think I remember reading. The TBird turbo is bigger than the saab and fairly easy to get a manifold for. I believe it takes a T3 flange. But I could be completely wrong, so someone correct me.

Tony, i am NOT goiong to skimp on the fuel setup. i was just wondering if anything is out there. But yes, i think the tbird does have a bigger turbo, the only problem is that it is located back behind the motor by the fire wall... i will howerev attepmt to get it. Ill probably just end up getting both. Unfortunately Hondata doesnt make a system for my car. i have already checked it out while doing research for this project. I was thingking of just converting to OBD1 but that seems as though it may be impossible. I would have to change parts, and alot of the parts on these "bastard" b20a dont have any other swapable parts from othe b series motors.

What would swaping over actually intail, aside from what i believe it would? Ive seen other preludes (3rd) gen with hondata, but i dont know where they got theirs, or what model they used. What would be recommended?

most factory turbo cars don't use an FMU or device like it, as the ecu is programmed to accept, read, and handle boost- kinda like hondata does for hondas without the tuning part of it, the boosted oeml car companies get it stock.

Well i now have a turbo in my possesin. The saab turbo was rusted.. and the car i thought was a thunder bird was a LeBaron. Dont ask how i got them mixed up cause i dont know.

The Lebaron's turbo was located right next the fire wall, and i didnt feel like messing with it. So i was strolling down the rows of cars and saw a mazda 626.
I figured this must habve a turbo. No it didnt. Go down a few more cars and see another. this MUST have a turbo. No. And finally when i was about to give up, i saw another, and sure enough, there it was, An IHI RHB5.

I ended up getting:

RHB5
Stock 626 BOV
Stock 626 Inntercooler
Most of the stock piping/clamps

and from the Lebaron i got the injectors. What size are these?

Ok so i am on my way to boost..... next stop, fuel management.

i got the Lebaron injectors cause they were right there. Will these work?

On a side note, i also picked up 4 stock alloy wheels (tires were just about brand new), a prelude driverside fender, adn some othe hoses.

I got EVERYTHING for $70

So what else do i need for my turbo setup?

[here are some pics of the turbo... i would appreciate if some one could post some specs on the turbo.

Compressor
s3fa52a0f15faa.jpg

serial plate
s3fa52a62c3518.jpg

s3fa52aad30d61.jpg

Internal wastegate
s3fa52aff3d0a4.jpg

Compressor and turbine inlet side
s3fa52bfcef439.jpg

s3fa52c46f1b4b.jpg

What is this thing.. and how does it function? Im pretty sure i need it, but how do i hook it up?

s3fa52c7cbbfea.jpg

s3fa52ca98d9b7.jpg

I figured this must habve a turbo. No it didnt. Go down a few more cars and see another. this MUST have a turbo. No. And finally when i was about to give up, i saw another, and sure enough, there it was, An IHI RHB5.

what the fuck car was it off of? IHI RB5 VJ11s came on a lot of Mazda cars. So did the VJ20s. All I found was a fucking Eclipse turbo when I was looking for mine.

then I ended up getting a Airresearch T3

Originally posted by rudeludenotmeanthough@Nov 2 2003, 06:39 PM
Its off of a mazda 626.... so, yea...

:worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

626s can be fuckin quick.

323 GTXs are even better. :D

Originally posted by TrailorParkPimp+Nov 2 2003, 07:16 PM-->
Originally posted by sleepergtx@Nov 2 2003, 02:15 PM
rudeludenotmeanthough
@Nov 2 2003, 06:39 PM
Its off of a mazda 626.... so, yea...

:worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

626s can be fuckin quick.

323 GTXs are even better. :D

i know where a wrecked Mazda 626 turbo is at :D i may go get the intercooler off of it...

and you held it from me this entire time I bet.

:slap: :nutkick:

pm locohonkey, he used a ihi rhb5 and the same intercooler, he will know.

hey btw, when you go to check for the intercooler, can ya look around and see if you find another? thats the turbo i want to use.

Back