welp, i bought a wideband :) PLXM500

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

posol

RETIRED
figured, i might as well, right? what's another 500 bucks?

PLX M500 is what i got. it uses a cheapo bosch sensor.

the M400 uses the bling NTK, but its a lot more moeny for each sensor... so i figured, what the heck, get the cheaper one. i can always replace them cheaper when they go bad.

any who- this is what it is:

M-500_Unit_Small.jpg

#1 reason why i bought it: integrates with hondata
http://plxdevices.com/PLXApp002.htm

#2: easy to hook up it seems... no worse than a vafc.

ConnectionDiagram.jpg

#3- its WIRELESS :)

so now, i don't have to be like all the other nubes on the dyno runnign wires through the passenger side door to the laptop. :) it works much like a wireless home network. two cars with antennae on either end.

#4- has its own datalogging software.

PLX3DLogger1.jpg

PLXLogger1.jpg

PLX3DRender.jpg

also, will display other features/readings, and has the option to display a custome BG on the laptiop if i so desire...

PLXDash3.jpg

customized, and with gauge readings:

PLXDash1.jpg

Looks easy enough to connect it all too....

ConnectionDiagram.jpg

Has 6 input channels...

The M-400/M-500
features a built-in 6 input(2 speed, 4 analog) data logger. The 2 speed
inputs can be connected to any signal which gives a pulse (Freq Range:
0Hz-10KHz) and the 4 analog inputs can be connected to any signal which gives a
voltage between 0-5V. Analog voltages between 5V-25V will be capped at 5V and
will not damage the data logger. Here are a few examples of signals that can be logged by the M-400/M-500.

Vehicle Speed (MPH/Kmh)
Ignition Pulse (RPM)
Shaft Speed Sensors
Knock Sensor
Throttle Position (TPS)
MAP/Mass Air Flow Sensor
Brake Signal
Air Intake Temp (AIT)
Engine Coolant Temp (ECT)
Exhaust Gas Temp (EGT)
PLX Wideband
Air/Fuel Ratio

The M-400/M-500 interprets the information from the 6 input channels and transmits, in real time, 10 samples/sec.

so, i can effectivley gain "gauges" as well...
and even though hondata datalogging supports this as well, its nice to compare.

check this, they even give a nice chart to say which type it is on the ecu pinout diagram: (pulse/voltage)

http://plxdevices.com/ECUDatabase/Honda_Ac...L_INT_92_95.pdf

#5- supports narrow band as well as wideband.

WidebandOutputGraph.jpg

although, once im tuned, i will never even be reading the narrow band to the ecu at all (hondata will have my set map, and will not take a readin anyway)

but, it does suport both, so if i need an emergency p28 swap or something, it can be done
NarrowbandOutputGraph.jpg

The M-400 and M-500 continuously updates the corresponding air/fuel ratio 10 times per second (10Hz) on its integrated 4 digit digital display. If the air/fuel ratio is measured below 10:1, the LED displays "rich," and if the air/fuel ratio is measured above 20:1, the LED displays "lean". The LED display is visible even in bright sunlight conditions.

#6 option to go wired. if for some reason the wireless is getting interfeerence, they make a quick adapt cable. basically unplug the antenae and replace

TXAnt_to_Coax.jpg

#7 - cheap sensor.

BoschLSU4.jpg

Bosch LSU4.2 Sensor Info:

This sensor is more commercially available than the NTK and is used in production cars such as, Porche, Audi, VW, Subaru, Cadillac, and Volvo. Its performance, accuracy and cost make it the ideal sensor for today's tuning needs.

full tech specs:

http://plxdevices.com/M-Series-Controllers...0_TechSpecs.htm

What's included in the kit?:

1. M-Series Wideband Oxygen Sensor Controller unit.
2. Detachable transmit antenna.
3. Wireless RX Module for USB PC connectivity (Includes standard antenna for max performance and range, optional reduced height antenna available).
4. Wideband oxygen sensor for M-500. Optional for M-400.
5. 8 ft plug and play wire harness for connection between the M-Series Controller and the oxygen sensor.
6. 4 ft wires brought out from the M-Series Controller for connections to power and analog output signals.
7. 4 ft long wire harness for data logging 6 inputs.
8. CD with latest the PLXLogger software version and device drivers for Wireless RX Module. (Win95/98/NT/2000/ME/XP) Compatible.
9. Detailed installation instructions.

i think its a steal at 500 bucks.

reaction to the thing after it gets here and installed :)

thoughts?

so now, i don't have to be like all the other nubes on the dyno runnign wires through the passenger side door to the laptop. it works much like a wireless home network. two cars with antennae on either end.

:blink: :eek:

:worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

bad ass. Seems like plug in play.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Aug 15 2004, 12:17 AM
#2: easy to hook up it seems... no worse than a vafc.

ConnectionDiagram.jpg

[post=377019]Quoted post[/post]​

Yup, it's very easy to wire up. The Motec is more difficult, and I did that one myself in a few minutes.

Damn, when I get back home I have to get mine hooked up.

waste of money if you have a hondata.

you will want to use hondata's logging for tuning, and splice the wideband output wire into the car's wire harness on the input wire for O2.
The reason for this is that hondata's datalogging reads the ECU's readings of sensors - any miscalibration between the "real" value and what the ECU perceives will show up in your datalogs. This is important because the ECU doesn't care about what values "really" are - they care about what it's ADCs see.

Bottom line: a PLX M250 (or M300) spliced into the O2 input of a hondata ECU is a more effective tuning tool than the PLX M500s logging because you are getting the exact values the ECU uses to calculate fuel trim, and the fact that hondata's datalogger is the shit.

Very nice! Wish I had waited for that instead of doing the Tech Edge one...oh well, let us know how she works!

Originally posted by radnulb@Aug 18 2004, 05:40 PM
waste of money if you have a hondata.

you will want to use hondata's logging for tuning, and splice the wideband output wire into the car's wire harness on the input wire for O2.
The reason for this is that hondata's datalogging reads the ECU's readings of sensors - any miscalibration between the "real" value and what the ECU perceives will show up in your datalogs. This is important because the ECU doesn't care about what values "really" are - they care about what it's ADCs see.

Bottom line: a PLX M250 (or M300) spliced into the O2 input of a hondata ECU is a more effective tuning tool than the PLX M500s logging because you are getting the exact values the ECU uses to calculate fuel trim, and the fact that hondata's datalogger is the shit.
[post=378763]Quoted post[/post]​

honestly, i bought it for the wireless features more than the datalogging.

my area is so freakin cramped with wires, its out of control. wiresless has become my friend :)

and the m500 wires into the ecu the same way the m300 does... so the honadta will pick it up like that too.

nice, i was looking at getting one of the other models :)

Originally posted by radnulb@Aug 20 2004, 04:49 PM
just do yourself a favor - use hondata's datalogging. It's superb. :)
[post=379802]Quoted post[/post]​

as i said, i plan too...

Back