What are these????????

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Dustin_m

Hey i see these a lot and was just wondering if anyone knew the purpose of them. i know that most of them on the bodykits serve no purpose but a few sports cars have them. i know it has to do with aerdynamics and stuff but what is it really??

s3f4f131209c55.jpg

I know the new Benz McLaren has them also. arent they called diffusers or something like that????

those are probably just to strasighten the airflow under that part of the car...and so it doesnt look like a big empty hole.

Those are diffusers.

On race cars, they are there to create a smoother stream of airflow out from under the car, allowing less wind resistance.

On body kits, they are all show, because Civics DO NOT have a flat floorpan leading up to those. Which means they are useless without creating a new floorpan under there to lead up to the diffusers.

Let me get a pic of a race car that has them...

If the pic doesn't work, go here: http://www.fast-autos.net/saleen/s77.jpg

s77.jpg

And another: http://www.fast-autos.net/dodge/compcoupe23.jpg

compcoupe23.jpg

Thats basically what i thought. the only reason i linked the buddy club kit was because u could see them clearly. on every sports car that really has them, they are black, or usually a different color, so its hard to see them, as with the S7, and also the new Benz-Mclaren if u look at that.

s3f4f1b75975f5.jpg

Another question. you think that the SSM (concept car) diffusers are for show or for real

Originally posted by senate_9427@Aug 29 2003, 04:54 AM
Another question. you think that the SSM (concept car) diffusers are for show or for real

they proabably come into play when the car gets over 100mph or so. i guess if a car can get really fast, they are not just rice.

hey so if you said that they only work when the bottom of the car is flat, do you mean it has something covering the bottom , or just that the exhaust and everything is tucked up close to the body and it just doesnt have anyhting big to interrupt the airflow.

Originally posted by senate_9427@Aug 29 2003, 05:22 AM
hey so if you said that they only work when the bottom of the car is flat, do you mean it has something covering the bottom , or just that the exhaust and everything is tucked up close to the body and it just doesnt have anyhting big to interrupt the airflow.

Both ways. Lots of race cars comver up everything underneath. Another group cuts out the entire rear floor, and puts in a new flat floor, and just run the exhaust under that.

It all depends on how serious you wanna be. :)

Since most of the cars here are RWD, then what happens with the driveshaft and rearend. i know its a little off topic for HS but might as well ask.

MBB.jpg

the bottom of an F1 car, for example, is fucking pretty. its so smooth, and in doign so, helps create a suction to the ground as it goes over it.

Yeah i know, downforce, or in other words lower air pressure below and higher pressure above. Same way plane wings work, jsut opposite.

ita a gay/lesbian's car. j/k ;)

it looks like infrared spectrum/temperature readings. notice how it says the "freestream mach number is 0.00". i think that signifies that the car is not moving. that would explain the cool underside of the tires (because they are shadowed/not exposed to exterior light source or cause they are resting on a cool surface). but it looks like the car has been recently run because the tires and exhaust area are red.

Originally posted by rixXxceboy@Aug 29 2003, 06:58 AM
ita a gay/lesbian's car. j/k ;)

if i was drunk enough, id consider sucking a dick for an f1 car...

:ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

maybe.... um... i dunnoo.... i'd have to think abotu that one.... lol

Back