what camshaft should i get

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

iroccamero

OK i have a sohc zc and i just broke my cam shaft. I have 8.1 comp pistons. I was running a turbo but couldn't overcome the overheating so i took out the turbo and then i broke my camshaft.So whats a good camshaft to try and get more power out of my engine

thanks

I would like decent power overall. just like it use to have. i just pulled it apart and i need to replace the head its not just a simple camshaft replacement. it ate up my head so now poses the new question what head to replace it with?i haven't been able to find a head for the sohc zc

i know how to spell camaro but most the time anything that has the correct spelling is taken. so i changed it to get give me better options. but thanks for the spell check. lol

i had a ecu tuned but the only conclusion on the overheating was that i had a cast exhaust manifold and it was 4 inches away from the radiator

Usually the cam breaks due to it getting seized in the head. (unless someone dropped the cam or ? before installation)
You may want to check your oil galleys in the head and then the cam journals for scoring. If there looks like silver oil draining from them, metal particles could have contaminated your oiling system..

What did you do to fix the overheating problem?
What was causing it?
It could have degraded the oil and then, with the turbo cooking it further.. You may want to pull the pan just for a closer examination. Coolant is only about 60% of the total engine cooling. The oil usually does the rest.

E

yes the oil galley in the head was messed up thats what caused the cam to break it wasn't getting oil where it broke so now I'm going to buy another engine or put a vtec head on it. i had already pulled the pan and there is no evidence of any other damage.

to fix the over heating i just took out the turbo i needed the car to be reliable. it get pretty hot where i live so i couldn't afford to break down in the middle of the day or night

After you get the head off, pull that little oil restricter out so you can clean under it. It might have crap behind it. Even if you have a 'cradle' that holds your main caps.
(I had an old 1200 that I pulled the plugs in the ends 'just in case', and man was it loaded with metal shavings! Good thing I listened to GOD.)

I wouldn't trust that block. I know it's a pain but you could ruin the motor in seconds if that crap is still in there.

E

Back