What car did my motor come from: JDM B16A2

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

confusatron

Hi, I need to know what throttle cable I need for this swap, because my stock EG Civic throttle cable (DX) does not work. The bracket is four inches or so from where it should be so the throttle cable will not hook up, nor will it wind properly around the throttle wheel even if I frankenstein a bracket onto it. The 97 ITR throttle cable I bought does not work either as it is exactly the same as the one from my Civic.

If I knew exactly what JDM car this motor came in I think I could probably just order a throttle cable from that car, OR based on what other people on here have said about their throttle cable just bolting right up, maybe from another trim level (CX, VX, Si) EG Civic?

Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by VTECPOWER@Aug 28 2005, 01:21 AM
I know the usdm b16a2 came in 99-00 Civic Si's. If that helps.
[post=546235]Quoted post[/post]​

the b16a2 ONLY came in the USDM 99-00 Si. JDM engines don't have a number at the end of the engine code.

Look on the left front side of the engine, directly in front of the distributor cap, there should be an engine designation stamped into the block. Figure out exactly what engine you have.

in the case that you have jdm b16a that is equivalent to a usdm b16a2, you need the del sol Dohc vtec cable.
or you can make a single cam vtec cable work.

Originally posted by 2000Si+Aug 28 2005, 02:09 AM-->
VTECPOWER
@Aug 28 2005, 01:21 AM
I know the usdm b16a2 came in 99-00 Civic Si's. If that helps.
[post=546235]Quoted post[/post]​

the b16a2 ONLY came in the USDM 99-00 Si. JDM engines don't have a number at the end of the engine code.

Look on the left front side of the engine, directly in front of the distributor cap, there should be an engine designation stamped into the block. Figure out exactly what engine you have.
[post=546241]Quoted post[/post]​

It's the JDM like I said. Even if the harness that came with it wasn't flipped for right hand drive setup, as it was before I removed it, the code stamped onto the front of the motor says B16A, no number after it. Also, the B16A2 that came on the 99-00 Si was OBD2, mine is OBD1, and such only has one 02 sensor located just before the cat. The USDM OBD2 has a second O2 sensor on the exhaust header.

Originally posted by VTECin5th@Aug 28 2005, 03:09 AM
in the case that you have jdm b16a that is equivalent to a usdm b16a2, you need the del sol Dohc vtec cable.
or you can make a single cam vtec cable work.
[post=546258]Quoted post[/post]​

Thanks man. How would I make the single cam vtec cable work, btw. Is the cable on the other trim levels (VX, CX, Si) the same as the DX? It would be possible to make the cable work with a custom bracket extension, and it wouldn't be that hard to make, but we are pretty much of the mind that if there is a cable that will fit naturally, we want to use that one and not have to rig anything up. Thanks again.

Also, that del sol cable, would that be like a 94 or 96? Or does it matter?

Yeah, just get the one for the Del Sol Vtec...

Originally posted by scottp11@Aug 28 2005, 12:00 PM
Yeah, just get the one for the Del Sol Vtec...
[post=546310]Quoted post[/post]​

:werd:
Just make sure u get it for the dohc vtec and not the single cam vtec del sol.

Originally posted by 93civicsir@Aug 28 2005, 12:09 PM
del sol vtec, i just did the same swap and it fits perfect. promise and it only cost $23
[post=546326]Quoted post[/post]​

Where'd you buy your cable from? Honda or somewhere else?

004.jpg

we bent it backwards and bolted it on the rail, cost $2.
propane torch + hammer

Originally posted by VTECin5th@Aug 29 2005, 01:19 AM
004.jpg

we bent it backwards and bolted it on the rail, cost $2.
propane torch + hammer
[post=546477]Quoted post[/post]​

:concur:

damn!! considering ive been telling him to use his stock one for like three days now, maybe hell consider it now that he sees a pic!

yeah pics are always the better explanation for those of us lacking in the ghetto creativity chromosome :) I think I'm just gonna opt for the DOHC Del Sol cable though. And, to answer my original question, Honda did make a JDM Civic called SiR-II from 92-95, and that is where my motor came from. I originally had thought that SiR-II was just what they called the motor. Don't ask me why cuz I don't have a good answer. :D

You can also use any 94+ integra throttle cable. That's what we use over here in AZ. You can pick up a brand new one from acura for like $19

Back