What ECU to chip?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

sohcslammer

OK, so I think I know what I am doing, but I figured I'd check just to make sure...

I am converting my 99 civic SI to OBD1. I am just going to run a VAFC on a chipped ECU while I save up for the AEM EMS. What is the best, cheapest ECU to use. Do I need to run a P30 or can I run a P72? Thanx for the help guys....

p28. theres no use in spending extra money for a p30 or p72 with a chip for dohc specs and a vafc to fix/lean out the 10:1 a/fs the "spoon chip" will give you

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Oct 27 2004, 10:03 PM
p28. theres no use in spending extra money for a p30 or p72 with a chip for dohc specs and a vafc to fix/lean out the 10:1 a/fs the "spoon chip" will give you
[post=408400]Quoted post[/post]​

Agreed.

Spoon is crap, mugen is crap, junk2 is the same as mugen.

I've only found a couple of programs that are even halfway worthwhile.

:werd: thanx guys. So the single cam VTEC ecu will work for my DOHC? Weird. ECUs mixed with the early morning make my head hurt. I agree that the chips suck but for 20 bux it's a quick fix to the rev limiter. Is there a better way to do it? Mind you I plan on purchasing the EMS...

buying a chip for the rev limiter is not their intentions.

the chip changes the fuel and ignition maps to match that of a dohc vtec car. unfortunately, it does a piss-poor job at it in the fuel department.

you get an ebay chip with joe schmoes personal idea on what a chip should be.

you might get somethign good
you will most likely get a piece of shit

you should have all the tools and parts for any swap before you start. you should do something and decide oh well I do this now and get this later. you need to have a plan before you start. to be able to do the job right the first time.

As B said get a P28, buy the components to chip it, Buy some eproms ($3.00ea or so) find a buddy with an eprom programmer or buy one yourself,
configure the ecu for datalogging, go to a dyno, do some datalogging, program an eprom, dependent upon dyno run. etc...

no single chip from ebay, spoon, or who ever is going to do the job 100% correctly. your going to have to do something a little custom. and some dyno tunning.

This is a spredsheet I made for all the parts you'll need to buy to chip a P28 ecu.
as well as a reference to www.pgmfi.org

[attachmentid=23] (**rename the file to p28 parts list.xls)

if you do go with a P28 and chip it you should be able to run the motor with just the P28 no need for the EMS. why spend money for one ecu, and then have to spend more money to buy another EMS system

or

Mind you I plan on purchasing the EMS...

than buy the EMS system and all your problems solved.

Originally posted by CRX-YEM@Oct 29 2004, 07:39 AM
no single chip from ebay, spoon, or who ever is going to do the job 100% correctly. your going to have to do something a little custom. and some dyno tunning.

This is a spredsheet I made for all the parts you'll need to buy to chip a P28 ecu.
as well as a reference to www.pgmfi.org

[attachmentid=23]  (**rename the file to p28 parts list.xls)

if you do go with a P28 and chip it you should be able to run the motor with just the P28 no need for the EMS. why spend money for one ecu, and then have to spend more money to buy another EMS system

or

Mind you I plan on purchasing the EMS...

than buy the EMS system and all your problems solved.
[post=409000]Quoted post[/post]​

I plan on buying the EMS down the road because it is like $1200. In the meantime I would like to be able to use more revs than the stock rev limiter will alow. That is why I am going to the trouble of converting to OBD1 and chipping it. Otherwise I would just run the VAFC and wait for the EMS. I am well aware that the chips fuck up your a/f ratio but the VAFC should fix that right? I am also well aware that a VAFC is not "tuning" but it seems like the cheap and effective way to go right now.

If you are looking to spend $20 on a chip kit on eBay, I could set you up with a EPROM with P30 fuel and timing, with only an extended rev limiter and the knock sensor disabled for the same price shipped. That way you wouldn't need to adjust the A/F ratio, and you would be running on OEM B16 code.

Originally posted by Jim Truett@Oct 30 2004, 05:52 PM
If you are looking to spend $20 on a chip kit on eBay, I could set you up with a EPROM with P30 fuel and timing, with only an extended rev limiter and the knock sensor disabled for the same price shipped. That way you wouldn't need to adjust the A/F ratio, and you would be running on OEM B16 code.
[post=409693]Quoted post[/post]​

Ummmmmmm..... :yes:

That would be awesome man, that's just what I'm looking for. Then I just solder it onto the P28 right? PM me.

you want to chip your ecu to 'get more revs', i've heard it all now :D

Originally posted by projekteg@Nov 1 2004, 01:38 PM
you want to chip your ecu to 'get more revs', i've heard it all now :D
[post=410200]Quoted post[/post]​

Is this weird to you? Its just a cheap way to get rid of your stock rev limiter maybe not the best but the cheapest.

your rev limiter is there for a reason, unless you have head work done, i wouldn't reccomend revving beyond the stock rev limiter, and most people chip their ecu's for the tuning capabilities, not to get more revs. power starts falling usually before the stock rev limiter anyways, but hey, it sounds cool to rev to 8500 :D

How about if you have agressive cams and dual valve springs and titanium retainers would it be recommended then?

as said before, a p28 tops out at 7600. the stock redline on dohc vtec's is 8000, 8200, or 8500 depending on model.

Originally posted by integraslut78@Nov 2 2004, 02:08 PM
How about if you have agressive cams and dual valve springs and titanium retainers would it be recommended then?
[post=410735]Quoted post[/post]​

Originally posted by integraslut78+Nov 2 2004, 08:30 PM-->
integraslut78
@Nov 2 2004, 02:08 PM
[post=410735]Quoted post[/post]​

[post=410841]Quoted post[/post]​

:yes:

I also will have higher compression, P&P, valve job, etc....

Back