what engine?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

95EGCoupeVtec

SOHC VTEC at its best
i just got back from florida with my brother in law. he picked up a 90 civic hatch for very cheap. so it needs a clutch no big deal. my question is the block says d15b1, and the head says 16valve. now from what i researched so far a 16 valve head is off of a dx motor and a d15b1 is from a std and is only 8 valve. now it could be that its a whole d15b1 engine with a dx valve cover, i haven't had a chance to take the valve cover off to see. would a dx cover fit on a std head? also the guy who had it before him had a 50 shot of nitrous running on the stock motor. would the stock pistons even be able to take that? its late and im tired but if anything doesnt make sense im sorry. anyone have a clue?

the D15B1 is a 16 valve engine - the only 88-91 CRX/Civic 8 valve engine is the CRX HF D15B6

this is a D15B1 - notice the 4 valve reliefs per piston

d15b1block-1.jpg

this is a D15B1 head

d15b1head2-1.jpg

Last edited:
ok thx man u cleared it up. also, is there any difference between a dx and a std tranny? he is going to buy a clutch in a few days and needs to know.

i think the std tranny is a 4 speed

ok well he has a 5 speed that's for sure. i'm guessing the block got replaced somewhere along the line with a std block. so its a dx motor pretty much. he was hoping he didn't have like 70hp lol, at least 90 is better. we gonna do dpfi to mpfi and put a d16a6 in for him eventually.

Back