What has awptickes been up to?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

no damn leg room in them :( my knees were all kinds of in the steering wheel

and im not tall (5'11")

Did you pull the steering wheel out? It's telescoping. If it banged I have a feeling you didn't pull it out yet, I had the same problem at first.

it was at an auto show... i didnt really fuck with it too much
got in... cursed at the midget who must have been sitting in there before me... slid the seat all the way back... sat in the seat in a driving position... was not comfortable with the way my knees were bent at almost a 90 degree angle and right on the steering wheel... got out of the car... made the assessment that i dont fit in a fit... moved on to look at other cars

5zmfyp.jpg

j0lefm.jpg

I'm almost scared to key up a radio, because I'm afraid that it'll trigger the airbags.

the antenna is low-key - yes - but is this the transmit power goal you wanted ? What if you wanna upgrade to something more powerful ?

Once I get a service manual for this car, I think I may install a different antenna. Right now I'm worried about the airbags and the unfamilier wiring layout. After I have the service manual, then I'll delve more deeply into designing a permanent antenna system. NMO baby!

Yes, it is farely low-key, but that's because it's only a glass mount. The issue is that the roof is too thin to install a NMO mount in the center, and the D-pillar has some supports that I don't want to mess with. I'm one of those people who doesn't mind drilling holes, as long as they don't mess with anything else. Drilling holes sight-unseen kinda bugs me.

This antenna will handle 100W on 6m, 2m, and 70cm all with a SWR of less than 1.3:1. For right now it will handle anything I can throw at it, with the exception of 10m. Eventually I might get a diplexer and run seperate 2/70cm antennas and 6m/10m.

Turns out I outsmarted myself, and bought the ft-8800r, which is only dual-band. I saved $100, and now I don't have to spend more money on another antenna.

I mounted the head tonight, which is a little bit further along than I thought I'd be on Wednesday night. I still have all the cables draped over the interior, and my power source is the power-jack. I've attached some photos for your viewing pleasure.

While I was trying to figure out how to mount the face/head of the radio, I went to bestbuy to look at their options for mounting GPS devices, and XM radio receivers, which turned out to be a good idea. I went into the store, and the person in the car audio was entirely unhelpful, knew nothing, but he directed me to the car audio installation bay. I went outside, and walked around the store to the install bay entrance, and was pleasantly surprised when after I asked the installer if he knew of anything that would work, he gave me an XM mount that works. See the pictures.

I decided to mount it on a removable panel for ease of the install, and because I don't have a service manual to see where things such as wires are. The red stuff is the backing of the self-stick adhesive that I forgot to remove before I put the bolts in. heh.

2iuqlpf.jpg

4fzxi0.jpg

1zexkg.jpg

e9j3f6.jpg

29l1kqa.jpg

2yw649h.jpg

More pictures when it gets light tomorrow, along with pictures of the radio mounted to the floor.

What kind of gas mileage are you getting?

What kind of gas mileage are you getting?

After driving about 170 miles on i-95 at about 80mph, I'm getting about 38.2 MPG on the trip meter. I've still got less than 800 miles on it, so these numbers don't really mean much. Here's my gassavers.org page:

Gustave

As you can see, the trip-meter tends to be overly optimistic. When I get my keys cut and programmed, I'm going to talk to Honda about it, because I'm not the only one.

ve6d7r.jpg

1z19w1s.jpg

All I was able to do tonight was run the power cable. It got dark then cold, and I didn't feel like mucking around in the dark to mount the radio to the carpet underneath the driver's seat.

Last edited:
I almost signed up there when I had my Ghettro (Geo metro).

Good looking fit you have there. It looks like the new Insight that's supposed to come out.
Unless its already out and I have not been paying attention.

The car is named Gustave. It's an association game, because he's blue (da ba dee).

Back